pc biscuit jointer dust collection

The dust bag on my PC biscuit jointerr is practically useless. Chips are uhung up going into the bag because of the reinforcement ridge on the plastic nozzle / bag holder. Any ideas on how to improve dust collection out of the jointer? TIA

Well, it works fine until it clogs. But that only takes a couple minutes, so yeah, it is pretty useless. I put my vacuum on it. It is completely dust free. A bit harder to use, but you can't have everything.
lucky4fingers wrote:

Dewalt is no better. The dust bag issue is some sort of a joke on the consumer, isn't it?
Tom in KY, never cared for a dirt bag.
lucky4fingers wrote:

wondering if there's been a design change since I got mine about 4 years ago.

I wonder the same thing. The old-style Ryobi I have (old-style because it looks like a "normal" biscuit jointer) never clogs and it can cut quite a few slots before I have to empty the bag.
Since it's the only one of those things I've ever owned, I didn't know it was an issue.

I bought the 1" porter cable vacuum hose which is long and super flexible. It fits perfectly over the dust port on the PC 557 biscuit joiner and is reasonably manageable. I adapted the hose to a cheap portable vaccuum. The biscuit joiner does a much better job when you keep the dust sucked away with a vacuum, in my experience.
Bob
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:58:55 GMT, "BillyBob"

Those are handy!
The same hose can be used for sanders, power planes, etc... of almost any brand, if you have some duct tape and maybe a cardboard shim.
Shop Vacs with drywall bags or HEPA filters do a much better job than dust collectors when a 1" hose is involved. Sears sells a $20 auto switch to make the vacuum you already own turn on and off with the tool.
I've also found that the velcro straps sold in office supply stores are great for wrapping the power cord to the hose.
Barry

No idea about the PC, but judging from my Craftsman/Dewalt BJ, I'd guess that the bag is pretty much for the field or occasional user... I use mine with a vac. hose and it's great..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing