PC 7518 Getting Hot

I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after light use and they said they are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC service center. This is the second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem While googling the net and this newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that maybe the bearings are the problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this problem.

Thanks, Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

I was not too surprised for a motor that big to generate some serious heat, and you're right ... it does.

However, I'm not going to worry too much as long as it keeps doing the job (which it has for quite a few years now), and in a place where it seems to be best suited/designed for ... in a router table.

... too damn big to hand route with anyway, IMO.

On that last note, I just walked out of the shop where I was using a little Bosch Colt to round over some edges, and, as small as it is, it was fairly hot to the touch after a few minutes use.

Reply to
Swingman

Hey Bigpole, I recently added a 7518 to Jessum router lifter and after shaping some

12 foot boards I noticed that the lifter plate was extremely warm. Prior to this I had DeWalt or PC 690 router in the lift (using the associated adapter) and never noticed any heat buildup. I also have my dc system drawing air from below the router and I thought this would help cool the unit too. I'm going to continue using it as long as it keeps cranking out the boards. I'm taking the same attitude as Swingman. Marc

Bigpole wrote:

Reply to
marc rosen

Reply to
pat

| I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after | light use and they said they | are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC | service center. This is the | second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem | While googling the net and this | newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that | maybe the bearings are the | problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this | problem.

If they're not aware of the problem, it's because they're very carefully ignoring it. A sizable number of ShopBot owners use the 7815 and have reported that they've had the same problem and have reported it to PC.

I use a 5 hp industrial spindle on my Bot and haven't paid attention to the PC response. You might check in on the ShopBot Forum

and ask there...

Morris Dovey

Reply to
Bigpole

Thanks Pat. I hope the router doesn't melt when I have to use it for some heavy duty work.

Reply to
Bigpole

Thanks Swingman, I had a 3 hp ryobi in the table before I bought the PC and it never got hot. Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

Reply to
Bigpole