PC 694VK comments

My 1 year old seldom used Ryobi router died and now looking at this PC model. Looks like going local price is $199 along with a D Handle mail in offer. Anyone else using this model? Repost as my first one never made it out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I lover the PC 690 motor and both bases. I have had up to 5 of these at one time when I had my shop. I put one of those quick release chucks on them and the router held up really well. The main problems I have had with this router are that the locking mechanism is not well designed. After a while we need to use a wrench on the lock knob. The other problem is the plunge base upgrade. We were running box joints in a PC Omnijig for our drawers. I bought a plunge base figuring it would be good to have at least one plunge router. When using this base the bit was not concentric with the guide bushings. We tried all kinds of remedies but could not get it right. Porter Cable techs (at the factory) finally admitted they didn't design it with concentricity in mind and they could not guarantee that it would be concentric. That is a serious flaw if you use guide bushings. We lost a lot of time with finger joints that wouldn't fit. I am hoping that they have since fixed this problem. We would up with a Dewalt plunge router with the dust collection base. This was a very nice tool. max

Reply to
max

I have a PC D Handle router (not the 694) and love it for some operations. The D Handles gets in the way for some things but for others the added stability is great.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:17:33 -0500, "Woodchuck" calmly ranted:

Check the brushes. I believe they're the soft spot on Ryobi tools.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I will do, but don't have much run time on the ryobi. My guess it has been used for under 100ft of wood, and was working fine this past spring.

Reply to
Woodchuck