PC 690

PC's 690 is a true classic.

Perhaps the best selling in the 1-1/2 HP class.

Also sold in a fitted box kit with several bases.

However, perhaps its variable speed version would be more useful in the long term.

Reply to
peterh5322

My 890 was on the recall list and the replacement router is made in Mexico. The first one was U.S. made. I guess PC does not make anything in the U.S. anymore.

Reply to
Neal

A DAGS will reveal the complaints that some have made a few years back.

Reply to
Leon

Even the instructions that come with the Router Raizer that Rockler sells (do we have a tongue twister there?) warns that it will not do anything for the slop in the 690 plunge base. I have one. I do use it from time to time but I don't expect a lot of accuracy from it. The springs are heavy and it has considerable side play.

Reply to
CW

The 7529 was one which caught a lot of flack. P-C even apologized for it and re-engineered it and then introduced it as the 8529.

Nothing wrong with the 690 as many have stated. Good, solid, dependable, no frills router. How much "technology" does one need in a router?

The 691 (D-handle model) is worth its weight in gold for some functions. I like it a lot on my Omnijig (dovetail jig).

The 693 is a decent lightweight (compared to 3+HP routers) plunger whose principle difficulty is the motor sticking in the base (not the plunge action) when the motor is used in other bases. If used as a dedicated 693, the problem goes away.

Note all three of these routers use the same motor (I believe the motor itself is labeled a 6902). The difference in the base determines the model number. The new 89x series does not follow this custom.

Reply to
LRod

That's the one I was thinking of. However, I see in the new issue of Woodshop News that arrived today that PC has recalled 70,000 model 890s.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Mine never sticks and niether will yours if you use my method. The factory procedure is sure to result in a stuck motor. When you put the motor in the plunge base, don't slide it all the way down against the casting. Leave it up about 1/8" then tighten the lock screw (snug is good enough). When you want to remove the motor, just loosen the screw and the router will slip that 1/8" further into the base, unlocking the wedge. PC's method of beating on the wrench is full of it.

Reply to
CW

On sale at Woodcraft this month for $99. At that price I might buy another on to go with my other three ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 24, 2006 Release #06-072 Firm?s Recall Hotline: (800) 949-6348 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Porter-Cable Announce Recall to Repair Routers WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Porter-Cable 890 Series Routers

Units: About 70,000

Manufacturer: Porter-Cable, of Jackson, Tenn.

Hazard: The motor coil insulation can be worn away by vibration from the motor, which could pose a shock hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: No incidents or injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled Porter-Cable routers are tools used in conjunction with various bits to cut and shape wood. The model and serial numbers are printed on the nameplate on the top of the router. Routers marked with a ?T? above ?PORTER+CABLE? on the nameplate are not included in this recall.

Model Number Porter-Cable Product Name Serial Number

891 2 ¼ Peak HP Gripvac? Router 10001 through 24647 892 2 ¼ Peak HP Router Kit 10001 through 68442 893PK 2 ¼ Peak HP Multibase Router Kit 10001 through 68442 894PK 2 ¼ Peak HP Multibase Router Kit with Gripvac? Attachment 10001 through 24647 895PK 2 ¼ Peak MP Multibase Router Kit with Router Table Height Adjuster 10001 through 68442 8902 2 ¼ Peak HP Variable-Speed Motor 10001 through 68442

Sold at: Major home improvement stores and hardware stores nationwide from September 2003 through December 2005 for between $180 and $269.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled routers immediately and contact Porter-Cable for a free inspection, and repair if necessary.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Porter-Cable toll-free at (800) 949-6348 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm?s Web site at

C. S.

These are a many years old design. Basic and no frills, but solid and reliable. I've read that many commercial shops will have a bunch of these preset with different cutters to use in production runs because they are inexpensive but solid.

I have the set with standard and plunge base, purchased just before a bunch of other vendors came out with slightly upscale combos. If I was to do that today, I would pick a different set, maybe even the new PC set but probably the Dewalt. If I just wanted a basic router and didn't need higher power for big bits, I'd get another 690 in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Didn't I see a Woodcraft sale flyer yesterday with the PC690 for $99.00?

Reply to
New Wave Dave

I doubt seriously that it is the original 690, and it damn sure isn't $99 unless you buy into the "rebate" scam. Any retailer who posts a "rebate price" as a come on needs to be drug and quartered.

Reply to
Swingman

Mine said $119.

Mutt

Reply to
Pig

I hate rebates in principle. But I use them. I have a scanner and create a cover letter replete with images/copies of the coupons, ad, signed forms, receipts, etc. included. On the occasion where the rebate did NOT arrive, I've been able to get the store to make it good when I present such detailed documentation. Only happened once and Office Max made good on it.

I print a copy and hang it on the wall until the corresponding rebate check(s) arrive as a reminder. Works for me.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

I'm sure it's not. The original probably never left the factory. It's the ones that were made after that that were sold.

Reply to
CW

You need to lay off the sauce ...

The 690LR is NOT the same as the ubiquitous 690 of the past that set the standard. It is the 21st century, "improved" version ... and we all know what that means from Plastic Cable.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for that cold slap of reality Swingman. I was half seriously considering looking into getting one primarily for the purpose of having a router with a collet precisely centered to the base for the purposes of template routing with bushings (and for dovetail jig use).

Mark & Juanita

-----+

-----+

Reply to
CW

No, but the $99 price is starting to fall into the "too good to be true" category. I may still check it out, but will be much more wary. Certainly not going to go the mail-order route.

Mark & Juanita

Overtaxed yourself with childish cleverness and missed the boat again, CW? I simply stated the same thing that PC themselves clearly state - it is not the same router.

With PC's track record of late, you're welcome to the 20 year wait to see if their current marketing bullshit holds up as well as the original. They're banking that smart asses like you will swallow their "new, improved" claims hook, line and sinker ... and they're likely right.

Reply to
Swingman