PC 690

Page 2 of 2

Well, if you buy a Delta X5 tool (I forget which ones), you can get that router for free. :-)
Hmmmm...probably the largest sold router in the USA and you were wondering how good it is ???
It still is the router most others are copied from.
Tom Cavanagh wrote:

The McDonald's cheeseburger is the best-selling cheeseburger in the world. I guess it's also the best.
FWIW, I have a PC690. I'd like to get another one or three. I think it's a great router. Something else to consider is that there seem to be more aftermarket accessories that work with the P-C routers than the other brands.
todd

Good, basic, solid router. It's pretty much The Standard Router that most accessories are designed to fit, and it has had fewer problems than PC's more recent models.

I bought the Bosch 1617evs specifically to use on my Leigh DT jig. Probably a better choice than the PC.
A D-handle version of the PC 690 would be good for the Leigh jig. I just got one for that application and it's sweet. I wish I had two: one for the straight bit and the other for the dovetail. I have two of the 690's now, and the first one came with both the standard body and the plunge body. The plunge body isn't exceptional but it does OK.
The new cam handle is metal, and unfortunately it looks like it won't fit the older bodies. Wish it did. You can tighten a T-handle tighter with your hand than you can untighten it.
The 690 is a good, basic router. No frills, but the baseplate is sort of the gold standard for template guides. Everybody's template guides (except for certain Lee Valley sets) fit the 690. If you already have a 7518 for heavier work you'll do fine with the 1 3/4 HP of the 690. The 7518's just about fine for your router table.
Tom Dacon

Hey I really appreciate the feedback and will purchase the 690. Thanx Tom "Tom Dacon" <Tom-at-dacons-dot-com-nospam> wrote in message

On sale at Woodcraft this month for $99. At that price I might buy another on to go with my other three ...

PC's 690 is a true classic.
Perhaps the best selling in the 1-1/2 HP class.
Also sold in a fitted box kit with several bases.
However, perhaps its variable speed version would be more useful in the long term.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:37:07 -0500, "Tom Cavanagh"

These are a many years old design. Basic and no frills, but solid and reliable. I've read that many commercial shops will have a bunch of these preset with different cutters to use in production runs because they are inexpensive but solid.
I have the set with standard and plunge base, purchased just before a bunch of other vendors came out with slightly upscale combos. If I was to do that today, I would pick a different set, maybe even the new PC set but probably the Dewalt. If I just wanted a basic router and didn't need higher power for big bits, I'd get another 690 in a heartbeat.

Didn't I see a Woodcraft sale flyer yesterday with the PC690 for $99.00?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

"New Wave Dave" wrote in message

I doubt seriously that it is the original 690, and it damn sure isn't $99 unless you buy into the "rebate" scam. Any retailer who posts a "rebate price" as a come on needs to be drug and quartered.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I'm sure it's not. The original probably never left the factory. It's the ones that were made after that that were sold.

"CW" wrote in message

You need to lay off the sauce ...
The 690LR is NOT the same as the ubiquitous 690 of the past that set the standard. It is the 21st century, "improved" version ... and we all know what that means from Plastic Cable.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Thanks for that cold slap of reality Swingman. I was half seriously considering looking into getting one primarily for the purpose of having a router with a collet precisely centered to the base for the purposes of template routing with bushings (and for dovetail jig use).
I wouldn't discount it due to Swingkid's conjecture. He has given no reason to believe that he has actually tried one or has any real knowledge of this routers performance.
wrote:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----+

No, but the $99 price is starting to fall into the "too good to be true" category. I may still check it out, but will be much more wary. Certainly not going to go the mail-order route.

"CW" wrote in message

reason
this
Overtaxed yourself with childish cleverness and missed the boat again, CW? I simply stated the same thing that PC themselves clearly state - it is not the same router.
With PC's track record of late, you're welcome to the 20 year wait to see if their current marketing bullshit holds up as well as the original. They're banking that smart asses like you will swallow their "new, improved" claims hook, line and sinker ... and they're likely right.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05