PC 577 question

I just got the 577 and I have to ask a question or 2 since I am new to plate jointers.
1-On the fence height adjustment what increments are the lines in. I counted 12 from the bottom to the number 1 ( I think it represents 1 inch)?
2- when you are setting this the fence height, what do you set it for based on the thickness of the wood? I think it should be 1/2 the thickness??
Thank you for your helping a newbie to biscuit joiners.
Bill in NJ
I have the 557 and for about 5 years.... As for the first question, put a rule up to the marks and go with your findings...;~)
For normal applications, I try to put the biscuit in the middle of the board edge. I eye ball it.. There will be some applications that you will want to cut farther down such as if you want to put in a double biscuit or are putting biscuits in 45's to make 90 degree corners. If you don't cut down far enough in that instance, you end up cutting through the outside surface... Not good.