PC 556 biscuit jointer & FF biscuits

I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556 biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8" arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend $50 on a blade that won't work.

Note there is more than just a blade change that makes the 557 work. It has some additional adjustments and stops that are specific to the 2" blade. Some of these are for safety. I believe it would be unsafe to use the smaller blade in a machine not designed to use it.
Bob

The safety thing is to stop the bigger blade from coming out too far.

My understanding is that the amount of travel in the sliding part is insufficient for the small blade to reach out far enough for a complete plunge. I am reasonably certain that it was the 556 which was under discussion at the time. It is also the reason why the FF blade won't work with other machines. A quick check with a tape measure will verify that.

I bought the 556 in 1989 and while it used it a lot, the 557 is much better. Worth the extra $150 to buy it.