PC 362VSK "Whisper Series" belt sander

I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

It is slightly louder than my old PC 136 sander which was made decades ago. If it wasn't for the fact that I doubt there is anything better out there it would go back. It still might go back to the BORG.

It does seem to track well thanks to the narrow front wheel. I was willing to buy a choo-choo but there aren't any in stock anywhere that I can find. Oh well.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Whisper Series means, When the machine is running and some one in the same room is yelling at you, they sound like they are whispering. ;~)

I think that only some routers have actually become quieter.

Reply to
Leon

R. Pierce Butler wrote: > I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this > some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that > thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the sander? >

Told you it was a POS.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I know Lew hates them but I had the Porter-Cable 363 for 10+ years and its works as well as my 15 year old Choo-Choo.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

The school has six 3 x 21 vs and four 4 x 24 vs Porter Cable belt sanders that are over 5 years old and are used in just about every class. Other than students sanding the cords into the units I have had no service problems. In my selling career I have sold hundreds of Porter-Cable belt sanders that are used hard and heavy everyday in commercial shops and I never had any service problems. My observations are based on facts and selling experience.

Mike

Reply to
mike

"mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e63g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

The PC is a good machine historically speaking but you would think that in

30 years or so the noise level would go down, not up.

I bought the model with the dust bag and the dust bag really works and works well. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

[snip]

When Phillips introduced the electric meat carving knife, it was virtually vibration free and very quiet. As a result, the operator of the knife, would pull the trigger, but wouldn't be sure if it was running. To check if it was running, the operator would touch the blade. It put a whole new meaning to the concept of digital feedback. Phillips then added a light to the knife, and deliberately made it vibrate somewhat. (The light wasn't put on for those people who love to carve a bird in total darkness?)

Apply that logic to the sander. PC just wants you to know that it is running so you can feed it a cord. I have two 3x21 PC's. An old one, which doesn't eat motor bearings as quickly as the newer one. They both suck. The 4 x 24 is slightly better but too damned heavy and it also eats motor bearings. I now use a 3x24 Makita and just love it. One day, when I grow up, I'm going to get me one of those choo-choos..but at Can$600 a pop, that will be a while. Lucky for me, I have yet to find one on display anywhere..'cuz when I do, my plastic will find its way onto the sales counter all by itself...resistance will be futile.

Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: ...

I bought the 3x24 Makita when finally gave up repairing my _OLD_ B&D between-the-wheels motor version.

It was the only one w/ low profile handle (I don't recall model number) and w/o the humongous side drive style that I couldn't find was actually a 4x24 body w/ 3" rollers making them over-sized.

In general, it's ok but...

  1. It's the worst cord eater of any tool I've ever had--the cord is extra long (a plus), but for some reason the combination of the way it is oriented and it's flexibility, it is absolutely _ALWAYS_ in the way.

  1. It actually appears to be a 4x24 unit, as well like (apparently) all 3x24 on the market at the present time.

  2. I isn't terribly poorly balanced as compared to many, but is much more side-heavy than the B&D was so it is more susceptible to gouging than it.

  1. The VS feature does have some value, but would/could live w/o it...

  2. The dust bag is reasonably effective and only a minor annoyance most of the time for being an obstruction...

If it were 3x24 instead of 21, I'd give the new 3-wheel versions a spin--they should be far better balanced much like the old B&D.

Reply to
dpb