Paxton Stickers...

anyone else buy wood from Paxton? If so - how do you get those #$%^ labels off their wood? Seems like, no matter what I try, solvent or mechanical scraping, the resideue left behind screws up the finish.

Easy, ask for some without any stickers - if they can't do that, buy elsewhere! Make sure you tell them why though.
Ian
Ian James wrote:

would bet nobody ever thought of this problem. The borgs will staple a bar code label into the end of their stick goods. Comes out easily BUT you gotta remember that BEFORE trimming the end. DAMHIKT. Sheet goods end up with a label on the face. Grumble.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Yeah, Paxton's been like that for years. Those damned labels are irritating. I usually peel, tear, scrape, and bitch, then follow up with a paper towel with paint thinner in it. I've never had a finish problem after doing this.
--
Mike

Please don't smoke. It devastates the people who care about you.

Thanks Mike - I'll try thinner next. Went thru the Solvent bin but was staying on the light side: Naptha, Alcohol, etc.

Have you tried a rag soaked in "Goo be Gone"?
--
Thanks,
Ham

Nope - but I was trying 3M Spray Adhesive Remover (or something like that). That left a nasty residue that showed up on staining.
Sure thing, Patrick. Nice thing about paint thinner is, if you end up using a petroleum based finish, then it would be compatible (i.e., non-marking) with your finish. If you use any other type of finish, well, the solvents in the thinner would typically be long gone by then, anyway.
Why they insist on using epoxy to affix their labels, however, is still a mystery :). Rick from the Kansas City store used to lurk on here awhile back, dunno if he still does. Rick? Rick? Bueller?
--
Mike

Please don't smoke. It devastates the people who care about you.

Rick doesn't live here anymore...My name is Alex Garcia and I took over for Rick a couple of years ago. I was not around when they decided what stickers to use, but it seems that it depends on the type of wood. Most species, the stickers will peel right off, others won't stick at all or stick so well that you can't get them off without sanding or using chemicals. I am sorry that they are causing you so much grief.
Alex

Thanks for being here Alex, hope you hang around!

No a big deal, more of an annoyance really. On Oak and Mahogany, they came off pretty well. On the hard maple I bought, I had some bad blotching from the residue.
Say - if they've got a corporate suggestion box, how about suggesting they print barcodes on the labels? As long as they're going on. Then you'd just scan the species with a handheld scanner and key in the BF.
Thanks, Alex. Nice to know you're here.
--
Mike

Please don't smoke. It devastates the people who care about you.
I'm not sure about the paxton stickers, but when stickers are difficult to remove I usually dab butter or vegetable oil over them and let them sit for a while... then they usually come right off with no sticky residue or anything...

When I have trouble removing stickers,I heat them with a heat gun; it loosens the adhesive right up since most pressure sensitive adhesives are thermoplastic (soften with heat).
oh, paxton must be a wood supplier? if that's the case my oil / butter would be a bad idea for removing stickers from wood...

I don't buy their S2S wood any more. It's too expensive and irregular. I have great luck with the rough stuff, and I dimension it myself, which I enjoy.
-Mike