PAX dovetail saw

Will appreciate comments on the quality of the cut from the PAX rip dovetail saw. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim L.

Pretty much the same as the LN dovetail saw, but not as pretty, the red handles are a little garish (sp?) I also have the PAX tenoning saw - needed it to cut big dovetails for my bench. I prefer a japanese dovetail saw - easier to get the cut started though it doesn't cut as fast as a "western" push saw. That's not necessarily a bad thing. With both the LN and the PAX I found myself cutting passed the bottom of the sockets scribe lines frequently.

You can pick up a decent japanese DT saw for about half the price of the PAX and nearly a third the price of the LN.

And if you're getting tools for hand cutting dovetails, consider getting some butt chisels. They're shorter and easier to control while chopping out socket waste than the longer bench chisels which work great for paring when you get to cleaning things up.

Of course, a sharpening set up is also nice if you want to avoid the grief that comes with doing dovetails with less than sharp chisels.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b