Pawn Shop Bargains?

As long as I can remember (long before ebay), pawnshops have always outrageously overpriced their goods and refused to bargain. I could never figure out their business plan. But now with ebay it's clear that there really are that many suckers around to make selling crappy stuff at ridiculous prices into a good living.

Ken Muldrew

Pawnshps aren't the only businesses using that business approach.

Most other businesses do also....

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Only if they truly want to succeed.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:53:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) quickly quoth:

I think use the fewer sales of extremely overpriced items (to people who don't know the value of things) to pay their overhead, relying more on reselling the majority of items back to the original owners for a nasty markup on their "loan".

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, but when you have one business selling new crap for $100 and another selling the same crap, but badly used, for $100, why would anyone buy the used stuff?

Ken Muldrew

RE: Subject

Having almost 100% of my tools stolen once, I don't support Pawnshops who are the basic buyers of your property that was stolen by the crack heads.

If the crack heads are "lucky", they may get $0.10 on the $ from a pawnbroker.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:56:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) quickly quoth:

Because far too many sheeple A) don't shop around. and B) don't have even the slightest idea of market value. They buy what's in front of them at whatever price it's marked. Their loss is the pawnshop's gain.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques