Pathetic wood lust moment...

Basson
Baritone Sax
Viola
Add pictures here
βœ–

In the SF Bay area, a good bassoonist can reasonably work as much as they want. Orchestra, ensemble, etc.
You can keep the the bagpipes and the accordian, however.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rick wrote:

Touchι.
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

If I could afford them, I'd *own* a set of bagpipes.
βœ–
Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 10:31am snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) laments: If I could afford them, I'd *own* a set of bagpipes.
Afford? I posted plans long ago. Make your own. I intend to, whenever I finish my banjo. Ah, bluegrass bagpipes.
βœ–
J T wrote:

I've looked at making a set, but it's very fiddly.
βœ–

Went to a wedding last years. All I could think about in church was what I could make from the 6/4 oak in the pews
Add pictures here
βœ–
I resemble that when I'm in church.
Not that often (except funerals) these days.
Lou

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Yeah, at my church they recently "redid" the sanctuary. The few pieces of old stuff that remained (table for the centerpiece and a big bible stand) were this absolutely gorgeous QS white oak. The new stuff (the new layman's pulpit) was ugly plywood with brown stain on it, roughly the color of fumed white oak, and some appliques glued on. I guess it looked okay from a distance but if you were into wood it was really a big step down.
I oughta build them a new one. So many projects, so little time.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:37:30 -0600, "Jason Quick"

Look very, very carefully at that thick QSWO, most pianos I've seen don't have solid wood, even the good ones are made of laminated pieces and veneered.
Otherwise I'm with Silvan.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:37:30 -0600, "Jason Quick"

best, give advise.. *g*
Aside from the "thou shalt not destroy pianos" thing, and the bad karma of doing so, the real issue here is that your bride used to pound on the thing... and no matter what you make out of it, it will always be the body of the childhood friend that you killed...
Marriage can be smooth and enjoyable.. just practice saying "yes, dear" on your way out to the shop...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not to mention the unlikelihood that the QSWO is more than veneer deep.
I destroyed a piano once, and they're a bitch. Opporknockity, the tuner, said that the sound board was shot and the harp (cast iron) was cracked, so there was no way an honest man could even put it up free for the taking. Eldest son and I spent the better part of a weekend getting it down into small enough pieces to burn. The insides were a hoot - poplar slathered with glue and glued to pieces of oak, some soft maple, and a white ash chunk that I turned into candlesticks. Just like the upholstered furniture, the framing was of the lowest sort of wood, except for the quartersawn - and cracked - spruce soundboard, which was a pleasure to behold.
Two of the three kids learned on that old beast, but it was really intruding into useable space. I still have some of the pins, if anyone's building a hammered dulcimer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

I'm building a hammered dulcimer. Or seriously investigating building a hammered dulcimer anyway. I haven't broken ground on it yet, but I think I can pull it off.
βœ–

I've got a coffee can full of piano tuning pins and I think I can put my hands on them. If you or someone else wants 'em, say the word(s).
Dave Hinz
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Hinz wrote:

The word(s). :)
My email address works. I'll take'em off your hands if you have no use for them. Having the pins laying around staring at me might be a good inducement to get me over the hump and actually cut some wood instead of just thinking about it. I realllllllllly want a hammered dulcimer, but it's a slightly intimidating project still. I've about half convinced myself to wuss out and buy a kit once.
But if I successfully build a kit, I see a long future as a dulcimer builder in my, um, future. I love those things like few other instruments. I got to play one once, and it was like touching $DEITY.
βœ–

Could be a Stickley...
There was someone here a few years ago who restored a q-s oak piano, now, who was that? Maybe a google search would come up with the thread. It was gorgeous.
____

βœ–