Pat Warner, how'd you do those dovetails?

Pat, Fifth photo from top, or second from bottom at

a router guru, I assume you used a router. Did you also use a jig, like the Leigh, Akeda, or Porter-Cable?

I must confess, I have not read all the text on your web page so I apologize if you describe how you did it somewhere and I was too lazy to find it....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

"Never Enough Money" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Have you read Pat's jigs & fixtures book? It's worth the cash.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

An interesting risk-free method, albeit contrarian. The case work is assembled with trivial joinery (very shallow t&g, e.g.). Then with special templets and standard cutters the dovetail ways are cut. Spacing is arbitrary, cutters are too. Arrange to suit. Now make the pins on the router table, contrasting, subtle, or matching stock. Glue&Slide the pins home and dress ends and faces. Pix at:

on a product for just such a system.

Reply to
pat

So (assuming I parsed that correctly and believe what I'm seeing in the picture), it's just the "mortise and loose tenon" concept applied to (pseudo) dovetail/box-joint?

Hmmm...does that mean the back ends of the pins (hidden by the square in your picture) are round? (Or at least have rounded corners, depending on the cutter diameter.)

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

It is trivial; that's the point. Pins terminate square ended. The ways were chopped square. A full width top covers the connection.

Reply to
pat

Ah. You left that step out of the previous explanation.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud