Paste wax removal

I have a painted piece that was recently waxed with Johnsons paste wax. Now SWMBO wants me to spray it a different color. I'm thinking that spray lacquer might not adhere too well over the wax. Any suggestions for removal, short of sandpaper? Thanks.

A scraper, then a wipe with naptha...

Or, as Tom suggests, a wipe with naptha and *then* a scrape...
Or a scrape, a wipe, and a scrape...
;-)

Mineral spirits. Wipe it on and wipe it off. Clean rags on the wipe off (paper towels are fine). A bit cheaper than naptha, not as explosive, and doesn't evaporate as fast. MS cuts wax - like right now!.
A scrape afterwards isn't a bad idea. It roughens things up for a new coat and smooths the paint marks from the last.
Places that sell automotive refinishing products sell a "Wax and Tar Remover" that is the first step in getting a vehicle ready for painting.
Use the product BEFORE doing any sanding. If you try to sand the wax off you may well just create sanding scratches that hold the wax in place then the item won't take finishes very well.
Don Dando

Now
Isn't that stuff just overpriced kerosene?
Dave