Passing on the craft

My son has called upon me to help with home improvement projects -- buildin= g a man care, remodeling a bath, etc. -- but hasn't expressed a lot of int= erest in what goes on in my shop. A few weeks ago he mentioned that he'd l= ike to make a buffet for his dining room. We're working with rough 4/4 har= d maple and he's learning how to use the jointer, planer and TS and how to = do a proper glue up (or at least as proper as my skills permit). Stressing= safety and how to think through an operation before you hit the power swit= ch. My grandfather was a finish carpenter and my father knew his way around= his handtools. I'm thrilled to be passing this along to the next generati= on.

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy and safe New Year.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

man care, remodeling a bath, etc. -- but hasn't expressed a lot of interest in what goes on in my shop. A few weeks ago he mentioned that he'd like to make a buffet for his dining room. We're working with rough 4/4 hard maple and he's learning how to use the jointer, planer and TS and how to do a proper glue up (or at least as proper as my skills permit). Stressing safety and how to think through an operation before you hit the power switch. My grandfather was a finish carpenter and my father knew his way around his handtools. I'm thrilled to be passing this along to the next generation.

That's great. I wish I could get my son involved more often. I have tried, but it's so far between he forgets. His hands are unsteady from a medical condition, watching him do fine stuff is very hard.

Reply to
tiredofspam