Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

Page 4 of 8
On 9/20/2015 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:

Hey!
Had to bring Pandi to the ER late one

$800 with insurance??? What was wrong with her?

;!)
There is a new Roomba. It maps the room rather than run randomly for 30 minutes per section, it vacuums like you would cut your yard. I'm not sure if that is better or not. Although it might finish faster.
And it will go back to the charging station to recharge and go back out if it is not finished. Ours spends any where from 90 to 170 minutes to vacuum the house 5 days a week. If the newer version could do this in half the time by eliminating redundant coverage that would be better.
The much less expensive Neato brand robot vacs use this maping and recharging set up but you have to use magnetic strips as barriers to keep the robot out of off limits areas. Roomba uses IR light houses to retain or let the robot pass on.
On 9/20/2015 3:20 PM, Leon wrote:

Pet insurance paid $560 of that ...
Most of that was finding out what she didn't have, pancreatitis, bowel obstruction, etc. Symptoms came on in the space of 20 minutes - tremors, heavy panting, and yelped when you tried to pick her up.
Never did get a definitive answer, but it took a couple of days for her to get back to normal.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 5:08:40 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Wow... glad she's OK. Sick pets can be nearly as traumatic as having any other family in that position.
Having seen her in action, I can imagine her backing down a big dog pretty easily!
Robert
On 9/20/2015 5:08 PM, Swingman wrote:

Sounds like a lack of attention. Is she having to share you with the new loveseat? ;~_
On 9/17/2015 1:18 PM, Leon wrote:

My wife bought me a wet/dry Shop Vac around 1976. That thing got a lot of use, and still works the same as the day I got it. The problem with that thing is it makes your ears bleed. It's the _only_ tool I wear ear muffs with, that includes chainsaws, air hammers and routers.
Last Christmas My kids got me a new Ridged 6 amp 14 gal model for Xmas. It was around $100, I don't need ear muffs with it at all and if it sucked any harder it would be hard to use. It came with a bunch of attachments, and all my old 2 1/2" hoses/attachments fit it perfectly.
I could buy 6 of them for the cost of one Festool. If it lasts as long as the shop vac, that would be 6 times 40 years. The only feature I wished it had was a auto wind for the cord, like my wife's Hoover has. That would make it perfect.
--
Jack
On 9/18/2015 9:09 AM, Jack wrote:

My wife bought me a broom for about $25. The last one lasted me 20 years. I could buy 4 of them for the cost of one Ridged, that would be 4 times 20 years. Longer than I would live.
If you like the tools you buy fine. Don't knock something you know little about. I don't really understand your obsession with trashing Festool.
On 9/18/2015 10:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Her broom doesn't suck as hard as my Ridgid vacuum, and it's hoses don't fit it either.

I like some, don't like others. I don't obsess about any of them.
I also don't trash Festools, I never once said they are trash. I don't even mind that they cost more than other tools, it's a marketing scheme that works well for them.
--
Jack
On 9/19/2015 7:16 AM, Jack wrote:

Huh... I think you could have fooled all of us on that.
AFFA marketing scheme goes, every single item that is sold has had some consideration and a marketing scheme to determine a selling price. Big deal.
On 9/17/2015 10:28 AM, Jack wrote:

AAMOF they have reduced the price of several tools and accessories. The Carvex jigsaw is just one. 15 volt 5amp Li-Ion batteries have dropped to $55.
On 9/17/2015 10:28 AM, Jack wrote:

The _true value_ of any equipment/tool used in business is it's cost effectiveness.
Bought first Festool (starting with a TS-75) in 2009, and collectively they have played a big part in well over $300k in sales in just the shop/cabinetry part of my business alone during that period ... making them the most _cost effective_ brand of tools I've ever owned.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 9:02:33 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Well said, and completely on target.
When I am working at a homeowner's house that is a hobby guy, they are in o ne of two camps. They either have really cheap tools, if any, or they are collectors that enjoy using really expensive tools. Nothing wrong with tha t.
But in business, I find it best to fit the tool to the job. If it is a too l that I will use a lot and demands a certain level of performance, I will pay to get what I want. About 18 years ago I bought a DeWalt 10" miter saw and paid $225 for it. Competing saws of lesser quality were around $100 le ss (remember how long ago this was). So why the DeWalt? More adjustments to get it tuned to a perfect cut, and a better build quality than most, and a bigger motor. The key seller was the movable, hardened stainless steel miter detent ring which allowed me to tune the saw to the last hair.
Just last month, the saw handle broke. The rest of the saw is fine, but the replacement handle is about 25% of the cost of a new saw. Strangely, this saw can be had for about the same price these days as it was so long ago. When it broke, I sat and thought how many thousands of feet of molding it has cut, how many jobs it had been to, and how many times it had been used work other than trim. So with almost 20 years under its belt (I will find a way to fix the handle)paying almost double for that saw seems a wise choi ce.
Same with my old Makita 14.4 drill that I use to hang cabinets or do anythi ng else that requires a lot of driving power. I paid about $300 for that d rill with two batteries around 20 years ago. It has helical cut bronze gea rs in the transfer case, carbide lined chuck jaws, and as the Hitachi rep t old me at the time, their best "super duty" trigger. To this day, when I n eed to rely on drive power and performance I take that drill to the job and put it back to work.
The other side of the coin is that I have now joined the Ryobi nation. I b ought a tool bag full of tools and for my small repairs I have been delight ed with my purchase. For $125 bucks at the sale you got a drill (good dril l!), light, recip saw, and circular saw. The batteries that came with it a ren't very good, but my electrician tipped me that at Christmas time and ar ound Father's Day they have their best battery at 2 for 1 pricing. So now I have the set with 4 batteries for $225.
First project for the set: cut hole in roof of a house to run bathroom vent ing out of the attic to bring it up to city code. Used the flashlight in t he attic to locate the area. Used the drill to punch a small locator hole in the roof (from inside the attic) between the rafters. Got on the roof, and drilled a larger hole to fit the recip saw blade into. Used the recip saw to cut the round hole. Mounted the vent pipe, took the flashlight in t he attic with the drill and attached the flex to the pipe jack. I had every thing I needed in the bag.
I was pretty happy with that. I will <<easily>> get $225 of utility out of that set. That being said, I haven't used the flashlight since, the recip saw only a couple of times, and the circular saw about once a week on a jo b.
Those tools will never replace my Makita 14.4 drill, my wayyy too expensive Makita circular saw (never goes to the job and only I use it), nor other t ools like them such my favorite routers.
Agreeing with you Karl, finding he exact fit of price/utility/performance i s the real key to what a tool is worth. Excepting you and Leon whom I know both use your Festool(s)extensively and constantly, I know of no one else that does. How can people blather on about the >>value<< of any tool, espe cially tools like Festool, when they use them around the house on a weekend ? How many people put their high end tools to any kind of real use? How m any know what it is like to rely on your tools to make a living day in and day out?
Personally, I don't think most people are qualified to asses the overall va lue of a tool. If they want to qualify their opinion with "in my experienc e" or "it wouldn't be worth it to me", then that's OK. Festool, Metabo, La mello, Lie Nieson, etc., aren't for everyone. But if they want to slam som ething like Festool simply because as casual tool users they don't see the value of the tool to themselves, then their opinion has no validity because they don't have the background or experience to render a valid opinion.
Robert
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 11:51:28 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote :

he replacement handle is about 25% of the cost of a new saw.
Can you repair or make a new handle? Or want to spend the time trying?
A possible option: I often try to repair stuff, so just a thought.... Would fiber glass work for the repair? There is fiber glass wrap, for making casts for broken li mbs and such. Seems, if your handle is similar to a child's small arm, re pairing it may be similar to applying a cast to a child's small arm.... wit h a splint/metal rod inserted inside the wrapping, if need be?). https://www.google.com/search?q=orthopedic+Fiber+glass+casting+wrap&rlz 1PQHA_enUS574US586&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved Ag Q_AUoAmoVChMIu6WW76KByAIVShc-Ch0Rkw4h&biw80&bih1
You simply dip the roll in water, to activate it, slightly wringing the exc ess water out, and wrap, forming whatever contour, etc, to whatever shape you need. It's very easy. You can easily cut it with scissors, to stop a nd restart any wrapping, if need be.
You may not be able to purchase the rolls directly from a medical supply ou tlet, but maybe you can. You'd probably have to purchase a box of 10-12, rather than one or two rolls. Maybe your local orthopedist would sell you two 3" rolls. I would suppose 2 rolls would be enough. I see online pri ces are much lower than med supply outlets. An orthopedist may charge up to 10X the online rate.
Sonny

First, a sarcastic remark.
Gee Karl, only 300 K worth of hobby cabinets? You are obviously a hobbyist and amateur. If you were a true professional, you would save up your money and buy the good stuff. ;)
There are a lot of folks who just don't understand economics, tools or appropriate technology. I work with some special computers that are only built in about 4 or five shops in the US. And it takes three to four weeks to get one built and shipped to you. And they only run a few programs. And yes, they are expensive.
But the interesting thing is that there are local shops that will build you a monster machine that costs twice as much. And they won't be as stable, or as fast and will burn out quite rapidly in use. Because throwing money at it doesn't get the job done. Due to some unique demands, that increase every year, not a lot of machines can keep up. The key is not the money spent or expensive components. The key is building a machine optimized for a certain function.
Price is not the only issue. IS IT THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB??? People who work in the real world, solving real problems, spending their own money don't have any problems making appropriate decisions in this area.
Besides, it takes a certain kind of person to whine about tools or somebody else's choice of tool. I have always admired good tools. I have always admired true craftsman. I don't have any problem figuring out whose opinions I respect and those opinions I disregard.

Seagrams did it first. They raised the price and it became a common holiday gift. No one gives cheap booze.
You missed the biggest part of the Coors story. They refused to ship East of the Big Muddy. What people couldn't get, people wanted. The same deal as Krispy Kreme (both horrible facsimiles of the intended product, hyped to the max).

From someone who's never used the product?
On 9/15/2015 7:39 PM, krw wrote:

Is Seagrams expensive? I don't drink it.

I wonder if that was a logistics thing, I know that back in the 70's that you could not get Coors in SE Texas. BUT I see your point.

No kidding.
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 9:49:47 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

VO is about 3/4 the price of Crown. For me, VO had a unsavory bite, to it . I much prefer Crown, it's smoother, has a more mellow taste, doesn't ha ve that unsavory bite. If price is not an issue, then I recommend the Cro wn, should you decide to try a bourbon.... and for entertaining.
Jack Daniels is pretty good, priced and tastes about the same as VO, a litt le smoother than VO. For gatherings at the camp, I bring VO or Jack Danie ls for visitors. By the third, fourth drink, those drunk fools don't know any difference. By the third or fourth drink, I try to hide the Crown fr om most of them, though some bring their own.
*OT, maybe? .... there IS a "Whittlin" title! Speaking of Jack Daniels: Long ago, I acquired a record album, "Voices of Lynchburg". Recordings of different folks (singly and in groups) from Ly nchburg, TN. Listening, as if you're visiting, hanging out with the local s, as they tell different stories, occurences, events. It's different and pretty good (average, okay) entertainment. The fishing stories are the b est.... "Everyone knows the first liar doesn't have a chance!" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voices-Of-Lynchburg-Tennessee-LP-vinyl-record-SEALE D-moonshine-whittlin-/360721794706
Sonny
On 9/16/2015 11:28 AM, Sonny wrote:

I recall VO not being wonderful so I never bought it. Crown is good but my favorite is a Texas whiskey, Rebecca Creek. Produced about 15 minutes from where Nailshooter lives. About $35 for .75l, and $49 for 1.75L. Guess which one I buy. ;~)
Rowans Creek is good too. I prefer sipp'n whiskeys.

I have not bought Jack in years, I would not buy it for sipp'n.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 11:38:24 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

*Actually, I had considered you were doing research, as to an alternative less expensive retirement hobby. Seagrams is less expensive than Festool.

And from the pic Karl recently posted on another thread, you alls' research is progressing splendidly.
Sonny
On 9/16/2015 1:07 PM, Sonny wrote:

Maybe....;~) I normally drink about 2, 750ml bottles a year, at the most. My dad has had medical issues most of this year and I have gone through about 4.5L since mid May. Hoping to scale back soon.

Yeah! I had a neighbor introduce me to Willett. It was 128 proof. Good tasting jet fuel.

Either you're really a sipper or plan to have a very short retirement. ;-)
Your post hit pretty close to home. My plan is to WW my way though retirement. Meanwhile, I no longer drink so have plenty of money for toys. ;-) ...but no time to play with them yet. :-(