Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

Page 1 of 8
A few issues: 1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer n ot to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. T hings fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement? 2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it l ater. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.
Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.
No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.
Kinna cramped space, for better pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/with/20715730554/
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

I'm sorry, but it would not fit in my house. Gorgeous! I couldn't visualize it until now.
--
GW Ross

Don't mess with Murphy.
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 3:15:34 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

Thanks. I don't always describe or present things for best understanding. It was a design in progress, to some extent, so even I was unsure of the final outcome.
Initially, I had considered the table for the camp, with a vague idea of wh at it would look like.... basic table, despite being walnut. The more I t hought of design ideas and worked on the individual boards, and later using the root ball for leg units, the better the design concept developed.
Now, I'm not so sure I want to put it at the camp.
Sonny
On 9/11/2015 11:06 PM, Sonny wrote:

Cher, that's not woodworking, that's art!
Gorgeous!!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I think it looks great, Had it been 11'4" I think it would have been way too big. :-)
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 8:21:09 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Thanks, Leon. LOL, yeah. There was a defect on the end of one board. If I had trimmed all boards, to remove the defect, the table would have been 8" shorter.... plus, I would have cut off that dutchman, shown in one of t he pics (underside of the table). I patched/filled the defect with (prett y much) matching patchwork.
Sonny
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Thanks, Karl.
When we tore down that old cypress house, I didn't pay attention to some of the surrounding trees, mostly small scrubs and trash trees. Not until la ter did I see this particular walnut log dozed to the side. The other wal nut tree was in poor shape, more so for firewood and some turning blanks.
Salvaging the log was no brainer. The wood, itself, should take the credi t for its art worthiness, not my hobbyist building skills. I'm lucky to ha ve been able to do it justice.
Sonny

It looks great Sonny. How heavy is it is what I was wondering to myself and then took it ridiculous thinking you might want to reinforce the floor were it is going.
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 9:18:03 AM UTC-5, Markem wrote: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/with/20715730554/

Thanks. The top is heavy, maybe 250 lbs., 300 lbs might be stretching it. The whole base may weigh 175 lbs, maybe 200 lbs. The leg units' footprint is 39" wide.
I, alone, can carry/move the individual parts of the base. It'll take at least 3, probably 4 people to comfortably carry the table top.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

That's quite a piece! Really creative legs too. Do you get to keep it?
Bill
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 10:13:22 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

Thanks, Bill. The legs created themselves, I just dressed them up, a bit.
My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while, at least. Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop, though. My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for the time being.
Sonny
On 9/12/2015 11:47 AM, Sonny wrote:

< My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for the time being.
That's a gorgeous table Sonny. People with loads of money pay huge sums for that type of table to stick in their $15 million dollar summer log "cabins". I suspect the more your charge for it the better they like it. I've seen them often on "Epic log Homes" I believe.
--
Jack
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 10:43:25 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:

Thanks Jack. My nephew says I should sell it. Not sure what price to place on it, though. I haven't really considered selling it. I would suppose a matching set of chairs would need to go along with it, for a sale item.
Right now, it's not a dining table, but a large semi-shiny dust collector, in the shop.
Sonny
On 9/13/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:

Minimum $15~20K add side benches for more $$
Leon wrote:

Shipping extra? :) LOL
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 5:03:34 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I did Google prices and thought in the range of $6-$8K, based on 2005 and 2 007 posted prices. My nephew assessed it as you did, $15-$20K.
I do have more boards and root ball stock for benches, but I thought benche s would be too heavy. I have a set (12, 2 captain's chairs) of antique di ning chairs, salvaged from New Orleans (Katrina flood), that I thought to r efinish (lacquer) and upholster (leather & decor nails), but not sure the s tyle of these chairs would go well with this table. Once the chairs are d one, then I can better assess their mating to the table.
BTW, 4 more pics, taken with the camera (better detail), rather than the wi th phone (darker pics, less detail), have been posted: https://www.flickr . com/photos/43836144@N04/with/20715730554/
Today, since the Saints were playing poorly and no company came by, to visi t and watch the game, I worked on the coat rack. Got the sides and seat a lmost assembled. Should finish that assembly and have the back done tomor row, then sanding. Hopefully, by this weekend, it'll be stained(?) and fi nished and ready for the (woodworking/Saints fans) kids, Ian (8) and Braxto n (9)), to install the fleur-de-lis coat hooks.
Sonny
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:21:54 -0400

was thinking conference table when i saw it too could probably get 20 grand as a conference table
maybe even more than that because some people seem to like things at ridiculous prices better than the same thing at a lower price
as if the higher price improves its appeal
they would not want matching chairs they would want those expensive office chairs
$1000 per chair and up

Sometimes higher prices do improve the appeal. They did studies with wines, and found the high priced wines were perceived to taste better when they told the people it was a high priced wine, but worse when not told.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 14 Sep 2015 19:23:24 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

and once you ply them with more wine they will end up buying some too at those high prices
On 14 Sep 2015 19:23:24 GMT, Puckdropper

The Seagrams effect.