Paslode 16g Finisher

My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas. She also bought a box of fuel cells, an extra battery and tons of nails. I notice the fuel cells have an expiration date, about 9 months out. I asked for this, but didn't do my homework. I'm replacing a standard air compressor operated one. I use these only occasionally, maybe a lot for one project and then maybe not for 6 months or a year. While it looks like a great gun and very convenient, under my usage I'm thinking I might as well take it back. The fuel cells are fairly expensive and will probably always be expired when I need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a problem? Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional use?
Thanks!
--

Best Regards,

Phil Anderson

Apparently they lose pressure over several months and the gun doesn't work with them. Even the contractors bitch about it. http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/paslode-expired-fuel-cells-75987 /
I'd stay with the pneumatic guns unless you had a real need to use the nailer with no air supply handy. Art
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:08:04 -0800, "Phil Anderson"

I had one I bought for some trim work a few years back. They work well, my experience that as an sometime use (6 months put up) would not fire well unless I cleaned it prior to using it. After that it was not reliable. I think they are intend to be used alot and did not work well for me.
Mark
I've used one and it's a great tool, but the fuel cells get used right quick. Have you considered a co2 powered set-up? It's basically a small air tank that you clip to your belt and hook whatever gun you need to use - you aren't restricted to just a 16g nailer. And the tanks are refillable. JP
message
I've used one and it's a great tool, but the fuel cells get used right quick. Have you considered a co2 powered set-up? It's basically a small air tank that you clip to your belt and hook whatever gun you need to use - you aren't restricted to just a 16g nailer. And the tanks are refillable. JP
Thanks, Jay, I had forgotten about the co2 powered gizmos. I'll do some research!
Phil
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 17:13:10 -0800, "Phil Anderson"

Some guys keep a LARGE tank in the bed of their truck and just play out up to 200' of air line for the gun, with the last 20-50' of 1/4" line, good enough for most non-framing nailers.
Either CO2 or nitrogen tank systems will work.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Perhaps you should consider another brand. I have and use a DeWalt DC628k cordless nailer. It's a 15-gauge, 34-degree angled finish nailer. Takes DeWalt's regular 18V batteries. The batteries don't have an expiry date that I've noticed anywhere. The nailer works great and I have yet to experience any problems at all with it.
It all depends on where you're using the nailer. If noise isn't much of a problem and you're always near an electrical outlet, then the compressor required nailer is an easy way to go and the nailers themselves are pretty cheap. If you need the portability and have concerns about compressor noise, then you may want to go the cordless route.
Upscale wrote:

A trick I have heard of, is fill a propane bottle with air from your compressor and drive your nailer with it, do not know the legalities or the number of shots.

My main concern when buying my cordless nailer was noise or lack thereof.

That 5g-size tank (actually from a hot-foam packaging setup) is what I go to for portable stapler/tacker/nailer use. I take along my 3/4hp Rand comp. for refills if I'll need more than 100 staples.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

They sell portable air tanks for this use. They're a lot lighter than propane tanks and should work just as well. I don't like the idea of putting air in propane tanks, even if it is legal (somehow I doubt it). It often costs a couple of bucks to have them purged (some refillers screw people over for new tanks).
wrote in message

You may have problems getting air fittings to work on propane cylinders. For small jobs where I don't want to drag a long hose or move my compressor, I use a tank that I bought from an auto supply shop, it is intended to be filled with air to inflate a tire. I removed some of the fittings and replaced them with a valve, a snap coupling for filling and a curly hose to feed my nailer. It is quick to fill and light to carry and can drive a number of brads before the pressure drops too low. It is still good to use to top off tires.
On 12/26/2010 4:08 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:

I've got an old Paslode framing nailer that uses the red fuel cells. I bought the nailer when I started building my house ten years ago. I don't use the Paslode very much anymore but it earned it's keep. There's no way I'd ever get rid of it.
When I'm finished using the nailer I take the fuel cell out and pry the metering valve off the top of the cell. The fuel cell in it now is at least 5 years old and would have been first used when it was purchased . The cell still worked when I last used it a few months ago.
I seem to recall I started doing this after a cell drained out by itself when it was left in the nailer for a long time.
What really impresses me is that the two batteries I bought with the nailer still work.
Hopefully Paslode is still making products as good as they used to.
LdB