Parts for thirty-year-old saw

I have a 10" Craftsman table saw that's about 30 years old. I'd like to get a table extension for it. Are such parts available for stuff that old?

Reply to
Richard Evans

I suppose I can, if it comes to that, but I have one the left and I'd like a symmetrical one on the right.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Have you tried Sears? They stock these right in the stores.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not yet. I've been there five times in the last week and didn't want to make an unnecessary trip.

Do you seriously think the local store stocks parts for a saw that old, or have the parts remained unchanged such that they are a universal fit?

Reply to
Richard Evans

This is a woodworking group. Dare I ask why you can't make a wooden one?

Reply to
Upscale

You might pose your question here =3D

you tried searching on Sears website ?

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

For a Craftsman part, wouldn't you start with Sears?

There's always:

A table extension can be manufactured with extra holes to fit several saws.

**
**

B A R R Y

My General is really big on one side. Should I send it back?

**
**

B A R R Y

It is unlikely that the local stores would have such a thing given the probably many design changes these things undergo over time. However, it is remotely possible that Sears Parts could have something that would still fit.

Another possibility would be to do a Google search using the saw's model number. You never know. Someone on eBay or Craigslist may have just what you want.

Me? I have been busy deconstructing my Sears TS for years. The right table extension was happily replaced years ago to make way for a custom integrated router table. I think you'll find that most of us tend to "tweak" our tools rather than keep them factory stock. You can see all of the stuff I've done to mine at:

Tim Daneliuk

A symmetrical table saw. Ok, I'm not going to touch that one. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Actually, they are a common store item. The extensions haven't changed in decades.

No need. Just need to match up the table depth.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes side extensions are available,

The part number for 27" solid cast iron ones is 00918637000

Order it off their website for $69.99 at

=========================================================================== Chris

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Chris Dubea

'last time I was in a store, the only thing that had was the light/cheap aluminum extensions. My saw, at least, has solid cast iron extensions. I kind of like the extra mass to subdue vibration and such. YMMV...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

From the Vila site, I went to the Sears site and actually found one, , but kept getting an error when trying to add it to my shopping cart..

Reply to
Richard Evans

I've let my shop fall into disuse for about 20 years and I'm just trying to get it back in shape as efficiently as possible.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Have you tried using Linux? I find I get fewer errors than when I was using that stuff from redmond and I have more money for tools since I don't have to update computer hardware as often.

Scott.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
cavisco

I imagine it can vary from store to store, but I bought cast extensions right at the local store.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Try ebay if all else fails. I've seen bunches on there

Reply to
i82much

My Jet is a left tilt model. Perhaps I should have gotten the center tilt one?

Reply to
Woodie

Tried again this morning and still unable to add it to the cart. On a hunch, searched by part number instead of model number. Ended up back at what looked like the same screen, but this time the shipping cart worked, so my new extension is winging its way to me even as we speak.

Reply to
Richard Evans