Parts for thirty-year-old saw

Page 1 of 2
I have a 10" Craftsman table saw that's about 30 years old. I'd like to get a table extension for it. Are such parts available for stuff that old?

Have you tried Sears? They stock these right in the stores.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Not yet. I've been there five times in the last week and didn't want to make an unnecessary trip.
Do you seriously think the local store stocks parts for a saw that old, or have the parts remained unchanged such that they are a universal fit?

You might pose your question here = http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/4324.html
Have you tried searching on Sears website ?
Smitty

Actually, I found the same question about my model there.

From the Vila site, I went to the Sears site and actually found one, , but kept getting an error when trying to add it to my shopping cart..
Richard Evans wrote:

richard, Have you tried using Linux? I find I get fewer errors than when I was using that stuff from redmond and I have more money for tools since I don't have to update computer hardware as often.
Scott.

Tried again this morning and still unable to add it to the cart. On a hunch, searched by part number instead of model number. Ended up back at what looked like the same screen, but this time the shipping cart worked, so my new extension is winging its way to me even as we speak.

You are becoming wise in the ways of the force my son.
It is amazing how dysfunctional many online ordering systems are. There is one site that I order from on a regular basis. Their coupon feature never works. So I actually open up three windows and process my ortder through three different screens. Haf way through the process, I delete the order from one screen and close another. What is left is the whole order with the appropriate discounts. I am certain that they do this to insure that few people can actually use the discount codes.
On Mon, 19 May 2008 18:39:36 -0400, Richard Evans

For a Craftsman part, wouldn't you start with Sears? <G>

There's always: <http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action?sid=PSHx20080114x00001

A table extension can be manufactured with extra holes to fit several saws.

This is a woodworking group. Dare I ask why you can't make a wooden one?

I suppose I can, if it comes to that, but I have one the left and I'd like a symmetrical one on the right.

A symmetrical table saw. Ok, I'm not going to touch that one. :)

My General is really big on one side. Should I send it back? <G>
Upscale wrote:

My Jet is a left tilt model. Perhaps I should have gotten the center tilt one?

Center tilt table saw. Isn't that the non-compound, non-tilting model?
Upscale wrote:

At least it's symmetrical!
wrote in message

I'd rather have one that would tilt either way.
Max
Max wrote:

The church frowns on that.
wrote in message

Depends on what you tilt. Besides, I'm a agnostic.
Max
Richard Evans wrote:

It is unlikely that the local stores would have such a thing given the probably many design changes these things undergo over time. However, it is remotely possible that Sears Parts could have something that would still fit.
Another possibility would be to do a Google search using the saw's model number. You never know. Someone on eBay or Craigslist may have just what you want.
Me? I have been busy deconstructing my Sears TS for years. The right table extension was happily replaced years ago to make way for a custom integrated router table. I think you'll find that most of us tend to "tweak" our tools rather than keep them factory stock. You can see all of the stuff I've done to mine at:
http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworking/TableSaw /