Parts for old planes

I have a Stanley #40 Sweetheart scrub plane that I plan to put on eBay, but it is missing the front knob and Screw/nut attachment that screws into the top of the knob. Is there a place where I can purchase these parts. I would prefer finding original replacments, otherwise will turn a knob myself, but feel this would take away from the planes value.
Herbert E Robinson wrote:

Believe it or not but the answer is Stanley.
I can't remember the name of the girl/woman who answers the phone and takes orders but I've never heard a discouraging word about her from those who've called.
UA100
Is that for just current production models or for the out of production models as well?
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Unisaw A100" < snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
KYHighlander wrote:

Never heard any distinction one way or the other so I'd have to say, I dunno.
UA100
I belive that would be 800.262.2161, Lori at ext 55839. She's helped me out a couple of times, although it's been a couple of years since I spoke to her.
Bernie

but
the
Bernie Hunt wrote:

That's it! Thanks Bernie. I was going through the list of "normal" gurl names, Sandy, Betty, Jane, and it just wasn't coming to me.
UA100
Sell it the way it is. If all of the parts are not original the collectors won't buy it. Let the new owner fix it the way he/she wants to.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

but
Many different styles of plane used common toats, so try to find a scrap Stanley plane which uses the same toat. Tool dealers commonly "rob" a handle from a waster plane in order to complete a good one. As far as anyone can tell it is original.
HTH
Frank

but
Unfortunately, replacement totes (and knobs) now are made of plastic..I wouldn't put a plastic anything on an old plane, or any other woodworking tool. I have quite a few planes myself, leave it to the buyer to replace.We tool "collectors" are a strange lot. walt q Brass City Records & Tools 489 Meadow St Waterbury CT 06702 203-574-7805 tools for sale: http://pages.cthome.net/bcrgraphics/tool%20works.html

I had a good experience restoring an old plane with parts from Bob Kaune at <http://www.antique-used-tools.com . Reasonable prices and the parts were as described.
Bob S