Particle board/Melamine Screws

I need to fasten some steel brackets to the face of 3/4" melamine. Anyone have some suggestions for the type of screw, preferrable something that is available at the Borg. I've had good luck with coarse thread #6 or #8 deck screws when screwing into the edge because I can use long screws. But with only 3/4" to work with....I'm stumped.

TIA

Reply to
Newshound

It depends on how much stress, and the direction of the stress that you are applying to the bracket.

If the force tends to try to pull the bracket away from the surface of the particle board, then you probably should drill completely through the board, and use a bolt, washer(s), and nut. This allows the rear washer to increase the surface area on the particle board to spread out the force.

The bad situation is one where the force tries to pull a wood-screw out from the board, the strength then is just the small area of thread contact against the fairly weak particle board.

-- Tom

Reply to
TOM

Ideally you should use screws that have been designed for this purpose. I've heard them called melamine screws, particle-board screws, etc. The trade name I know is "confirmat", I believe. I think Rockler sells them.......yep, here's the link:

A better source is likely McFeely's:
really do a better job than anything else I've ever seen, in both melamine and MDF. The use of the proper step drill bit makes assembly extremely painless and clean.

That being said, I've never been able to find these screws in less than 1" lengths, so I've resorted to using coarse thread machine screws. I tried deck screws, as you did, but found them a bit brittle. The key is to make sure you always drill sufficient pilot holes, and remain a good distance from edges - or else you'll split the MDF (I'm not sure if this is as big a problem in melamine). Anyway, I've built several shop cabinets using only machine screws out of MDF and had no problem. You can easily find 5/8" machine screws, so for your particular job that's what I'd use.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

board, then you

board, the

particle board.

Absolutely correct. If there is not enough clearance on the back side of the board for a nut, washer, and bolt, consider using tee-nuts. They sit almost flush with the surface, and provide essentially the same mechanical benefits.

Doug Miller

pan head sheet metal screws.

Reply to
bridger

I work in a furniture mfg shop that uses melamine-lam'd particle board for almost everything. The assemblers use standard black drywall screws along with some special white glue for both edge and face mounting. I don't know what application you're using this for or how much weight/pressure will be on the steel brackets but if it's particle board under the melamine, it won't bear much weight without blowing out.

If you can supplement the screws with adhesive, that would be advisable too.

Hope this helps

Reply to
wch