Partialy OT. conputer help

I've just had this happen for the 3rd time: I'm using Netscape 4.7 for reading news groups. Actually read; "the rec." and the two ABPW and ABPF and RCM ( rec.crafts.metalworking ). Some how the entire file of headers for, only the rec, gets missing adn I have to download the entire 13000+ list before I can read the last days worth of maybe 400. With only a 33K modem it is a real pain. This only has happened for this group and only, I think, 3 times in the last several months. Can anyone tell me if I have done something inadvertently when closing the news reader or if I have something going bad in the computer or program? I don't see how it could be related to anything my ISP ( Earthlink ) could do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

[snip]

Just taking a wild guess but do you get the same usenet server each time you download? Sometimes you are given an name such as news.bigcompany.com which each time you contact it gives you any one of a number of servers which can be different.

I had use a ip address for a specific server once to deal with such a problem to insure I got the same server in the group.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

This won't help with the newsgroup problem... but I think 56k modems can be had for about $20 these days... That'd be a vast improvement over your 33k modem.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

No need to reboot.

Use "Online", "Refresh Groups List". Use "Edit" to find the ng of interest, then subscribe to that ng.

Exit and restart of Agent shouldn't be required.

Been using Agent for years, never seen this problem. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

I'm using netscape 4.79 as my newsreader, tried agent, et al and didn't like them. It happened to me regularly when I was on earthlink as well. Same fix, delete, reload, and mark as read. Since I went to ATT it hasn't happened. hmmmm Just a thought, Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

News servers have been known to reset their article numbering. To reset yours, go into the .rc file and reset the number(s) to 1.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I use Netscape 4.79 and this happens to me from time to time as well. When it happens there should be a "box" that opens up, which asks if you want to download "all headers", or allow you to specify the number of headers to download. Select the item that allows you to specify the number of headers. The group has been running about 900 messages a day, so 1000 x the number of days since you last accessed the group should be sufficient.

I normally have my options set to "show only unread messages". When I do the refresh, this option will be set back to "view all messages". If I change it back to "unread only", it is still able to keep track of those messages which were read prior to the "glitch", and show only those messages which are actually unread.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova