Partially in aid of the signal to noise ratio ...

I don't normally take on "handyman" type projects, but despite what Red Green said, some of us are actually both ... that's according to SWMBO.
In any event, a good very good friend, with no man about the house, needed something done about these side garage doors, so I 'swung' to the rescue.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm
Once painted (serious female input matching the original color needed) and re-hung, they should be good for a few more years before she needs to replace them completely.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

You did good. Those doors looked like they had some serious rot problems at the base.
How did you align/drill the dowel holes?
And did you use some big dowels?
I had a friend who used to grab up all the old brooms he could find. He recycled the broom sticks. He often used them as giant dowels. He even built a number of bed where he would dowel the headboard to the top ot the bed frame.
What was funny about that was that people would always asked where he got the the big, "exotic" dowels!!
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I used a big dowel jig that I rarely use, but the biggest drill that will work with it is 1/2", so that basically determined the dowel size.
There is no stress at the bottom of the doors (I doubt whether they even get opened twice a year) and that fact overcame my normal "dowel reluctance" ... besides not wanting to make a career out of the project.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman (in WcqdnU5hYd6mp_PenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com) said:
| http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm
Nice work!

You're brave to take on that project. I would have been afraid the rot was too extensive.
How did trim off the bottoms of the doors? I ask because I would have tried to make a rabbet in the bottom piece for the panels but that would have required leaving the panels slightly longer than the sides.
Good job.
TWS
"TWS" wrote in message

Luckily I was able to let the dimensions of the available material for the new bottom "rails" (9 1/4" wide) decide how much to cut off, which was sufficient to actually get rid of the rotten wood.

My original inclination also. But on examining the doors it was apparent that's actually what got the original door maker in trouble ... water collecting in the bottom dadoes was a large part of why the doors were in the state they were in.
Using a waterproof sealer on the bottom edge of the "panel", and on top of the new "rail" between the stiles, then capturing the panel between trim on either side, gave the same effect as a groove/ dado, but was easier to accomplish ... and it should outlast the original to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Smart looking fix, Swing.
I don't see any good way you could have extended those stiles without getting into a mare's nest of joinery problems, and the worst that could happen is that the stiles will want to cycle a little bit in and out from the outside lines described by the new bottom rail.
As old as that stile wood looks, its days of doing a lot of expanding and contracting are pretty much past, anyways.
Besides that, it seems like the kind of good work that will get you a nod and a wink from Saint Joseph (whom I am sure is consulted by Saint Peter on all things Carpentry, as is only right, SP being a fisherman and all), when the time comes to be knocking at the Big Door.
Congratulations on both your good work and your good works.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Thank you, Tom ... coming from you, the compliments taken with high regard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Nice work! I normally avoid the handyman jobs too, but sometimes those turn into 'feel good' jobs. Bessey's are nice, but sometimes there's just no substitute for a few yards of pipe-clamp, eh?
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Ain't that the truth. I've got four 8 1/2 foot sections of black pipe that are used with clamps just often enough to resist the temptation to 're-size' them for some other momentary, but urgent, need ... like the four six footers that ended up as emergency stakes for some newly planted trees during the last hurricane threat.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman said:

Looks good!
You are a man of great benevolence and compassion. Wanna come live next door.... ;-)
Oughta finish that primer job though. Maybe a little termite treatment - you are in their zone. And if you would be a hun and paint those up...
About the "good very good friend" part, just how good a friend is she? And what does SWMBO think about your swinging to the rescue? <g>
Greg G.
Hey Swing, stay in Houston will you? I make a pretty good living since down sizing my company by doing things just like that.
Awfully nice fix, and really nice, clean work. Like Robatoy, I am diggin' on those clamps...
Robert

Inventive repair, nice work, good alignment on the dowels... even a Titebond cap in non-clogged form... doesn't get much better than that!
I'd give it a 10, but ya can't dance to it.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Now that is where the term "door stretcher" came from...
I like it..
A circular saw and a straight edge will fix a lot of stuff.
Nice fix.