Parquet floor refinishing question

I pulled up some old carpeting in my house and discovered oak Parquet floor! It looks like it could be saved if I could figure out a way to sand it down a bit. The pattern has the grain going in different direction. Any ideas on how to get the job done? Thanks, --Jon
Chemical stripper? Or maybe a ROS and a 55-gallon drum of elbow grease? Or, maybe rent a big-ass ROS (do they even make such an animal?) and do it that way. OR rent a floor sander and do most of the work, then clean it up with a ROS?
I'm just shooting from the hip, here. Maybe this can spark something that will work for you.
-Phil Crow

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome