panel spacers

I need to order some raised panel spacers. Does anyone have comments on preference between the barrel shaped, natural rubber spacers and synthetic rubber spherical spaceballs.
Frank

I use 1/4" wide foam weather stripping from Lowe's. Works for me.
Max

Yup.. that's what I use too...and have been for years. (But I think Franks is having us on....<G>)
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:21:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Nope, serious question. At twenty bucks a thousand, no cutting, or trimming, I'm going to buy either one or the other of the two. Actually think it would be more cost effective than weather stripping.
Frank

In that case, I would suggest the synthetic rubber. Less chance of them deteriorating or reacting with solvent based finishes.

I've used both, and much prefer the spheres. Sometimes if you need to slide the panel a bit, the barrels will tip up on end and cause problems. Just make sure you get the right size for the groove you'll be cutting. You want the Space-balls to be a press-fit so they won't fall out. I start them with my fingers, but set them to the bottom of the groove with the end of my 6" steel ruler. I find it's quickest to line up all the stiles & rails in front of you and then grab the balls in pairs. Push them in by hand first, being sure your in far enough from the end of the stiles, then go back and bottom them out with a ruler or such.
JP ********************* Not those balls.

I've used both, and much prefer the spheres. Sometimes if you need to slide the panel a bit, the barrels will tip up on end and cause problems. Just make sure you get the right size for the groove you'll be cutting. You want the Space-balls to be a press-fit so they won't fall out. I start them with my fingers, but set them to the bottom of the groove with the end of my 6" steel ruler. I find it's quickest to line up all the stiles & rails in front of you and then grab the balls in pairs. Push them in by hand first, being sure your in far enough from the end of the stiles, then go back and bottom them out with a ruler or such.
JP ********************* Not those balls.
How far apart along the length of the rail and stiles do you put them? CC

Oh a few inches in from each end. Just don't push them in where the rail meets the stile.

Oh a few inches in from each end. Just don't push them in where the rail meets the stile.
thanks Jay, I didn't know if they were placed in multiple locations along the rail and stiles or just one on each end, CC
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Just FWIW, and in a pinch ... and perhaps too old fashioned/cheesy for most these days, but I've occasionally used a method learned from an old cabinet maker in England many years ago:
"string" or "twine"
... the baling variety works fine.
Judging from the work of his ancestors (pieces that were still doing what they were made to do), it appears to have worked for at least a couple of hundred years.
YMMV ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

I've always understood this as a fairly common practice. Also, wooden boats are chinched with jute rope and old plank floors have rope chinching, after they have dried and shrank. Agreed, rope as an expansion material, this way, is certainly not new. Rope can be stained, as well, to match nearly any color needed. Whether rope or baling twine, dipping in wax, before applying, is common, also, though I am not sure about this on/in panel applications.... certainly can't hurt. In a pinch, waxed rope can seal a boat's shaft from water leakage.
In a home, near here, someone tried to fill gaps in a plank floor with tile grout. What a mess. I couldn't believe that.
Sonny

Saw one done with silicone recently. Parts ofd the gaps were wet with water when it was applied...it was disgusting.
Frank Boettcher wrote:

I've used the spaceballs and have been happy with them. They are cheap, and if you don't do a lot of doors, a box of 1000 goes a long way.
Interesting aside, last year I repaired and RV door for a friend. The original door used what looked like white surgical tubing stapled into the panel groove. My only concern with the spaceballs in that application is that they don't all get vibrated down to the bottom of the panel.

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:16:54 -0500, Frank Boettcher

Thanks to all who responded, I think I'll go with the spaceballs.
Frank