Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m22.aol.com:

Good heavens! I'd never buy one, I'd build it.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Rockler has plans and a kit for one constructed from 80/20 rectangular t-slot tubing. Their kit is about $300, and about another $150 for the wood etc required.

I've been accumulating bits and peices on ebay for about a year now, and should be able to put one together this fall. All told I think, I'll have about $300 in it when I'm done, including a dedicated saw to use on it.

I'm guess> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:16:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely

Reply to
Randy

Randy...

Please keep us posted on your progress! I've been doing the same and think (hope) I'm on about the same schedule. Those off-the-shelf units that approach "affordable" seem to be universally too short; and those that're long enough are too pricey.

I'm cutting a fair number of plywood sheets for solar heating panels using the Lee Valley saw guide, which works well; but isn't really well-suited to production use.

The Rockler plans/reprint look like a good starting point for a new design; but I think I'll build with chrome-molly steel, Delrin, UHMWPE, and stainless fasteners - and yes, I'm planning to like it fairly well (-:

I built a sled for my TS (under influence of the wRECk) and have been pondering incorporation of a lockable "panel sled" moving on linear bearings into my design. It might make the darned thing a lot easier to use...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:50:17 GMT, Randy vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

This is what worries me. Nobody is replying. There are areas where I am willing to pioneer, and even reinvent the wheel, but not here. This is a "wanna" project, and is banned unless proven by TPTB

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 2:12pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com (mike) says: I made one with sliding door hardware for the rails. Works perfectly, accurate within 1/32". Prefer table saw for everything but cross cutting sheet goods. Takes up very little room, plus I put it on castors to move around the shop.

Now that's an interesting concept. I'd like to see some pictures of that. Except I'd havy to spend money. LOL If I had any that is. however, it does give me some ideas on using angle iron (also have to buy), or bed rails, which I wouldn't have to buy. Been thinking about someting along those lines, out of wood, this would probably be better.

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

I have a Full sized DeWalt panel saw that was missing the saw when I got it. I installed a circular saw in it & it works great. I paid $100 for it. I have a full shop including 10" CS,6" Jointer, 12" portable planer 12" RAS & 12" CMS RA drill press both 12" & 14" Band saw, Mortiser, Spindle sande & 9"/48" combo sander & a 50 gal air compressor, welder & 3'x5' workbench/out-feed table & a 2 HP DC. All in a 13'5" x 24'5" shop.

Ya its crowded. But I have built a 8' long black melamine computer desk it this shop so it can't be to bad.

The panel saw is what makes a small shop workable. Just put the sheet goods through the PS first & it makes it a whole lot easier to handle in a small shop.

I only have 1 36" door into the shop & straight ahead is the PS & I store full sized sheet goods behind the PS.

Another thing it is a real back saver. Remember you only have one back, so protect it.

Reply to
Bart

Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 10:19pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com (Bart) claims: The panel saw is what makes a small shop workable.

That's sorta correct. My shop's way too small for a panel saw. I get them sliced where I buy. First 3 cuts free, the rest $.25 each. But, they usually don't charge.

IF I still could handle full sheets, I'd just cut them down on the back of my truck, with a straightedge, and circular saw. But, I can't, so I don't.

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Me too usually. Gott'a be careful with MDF. Seven out'a ten times the cutter forgets about the extra inch.

Reply to
patrick conroy

If you have them cut to size where you buy, do one of two things. Either provide oversized dimensions, or measure before you leave.

I just had some plywood cut for me at my local Big B. The shop hand cut if for me on their fancy schmancy panel saw and loaded it into my pickemup truck. Got home and they were all 1/4 short. Fortunately for me, the dimensions I gave were all a little oversized and I was still able to trim everything down to correct size.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

That's why I always (OK most of the time) carry a tape and a pencil.

UA100, who doesn't wrestle 4X8's down the stairs...

Reply to
Unisaw A100