Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Page 3 of 4
wrote in message

Running a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through a table saw at a 45 degree angle sounds pretty dangerous. But then, running it through straight calls for serious concentration.

Not at all if it's done properly. A simple angle guide and proper placement of an outfeed table makes it very simple. But, forget about the 4x8 sheet. What about simple mitres on smaller stock? As far as I've seen, a panel saw is not capable of such cuts.
wrote in message

Don't know why not. Just calls for a different design than the norm. You'd have to clamp the stock to a variable angle tray.
Lobby Dosser writes:

Point being, you cannot do it NOW on a panel saw, and not on any I've ever seen. It requies a modified outfeed table on a table saw, that can still be used for other things, but adding a variable angle tray to a panel saw, and making it removable, might be quite interesting. But it still won't beat the crap out of a table saw.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in wrote in message

Good heavens! I'd never buy one, I'd build it.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:36:24 GMT, Lobby Dosser
......and in reply I say!:
OK. Thanks. It was that sort I was referring to. Has anyone actually built and used one of these sort? I realise they are going to be as good as they're built and set up, and probably as good as the saw used. But they seemed like a good idea for eh occasional user, given the price of a commercial panel saw.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.

both types are large and expensive for what they do. they do it well, and if they fit your needs are great machines. I don't have space or funds for either kind.
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:16:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
The alternative is one such as the plans suggested by Lobby Dosser. Littlel room, reasonable cost.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
vaguely

Building one is on my list (near the bottom). I've been figuring on building it on a rolling base with lumber rack on the other side and panel storage in the center.
Note that panel saw setups can also be used four routing.
LD

Rockler has plans and a kit for one constructed from 80/20 rectangular t-slot tubing. Their kit is about $300, and about another $150 for the wood etc required.
I've been accumulating bits and peices on ebay for about a year now, and should be able to put one together this fall. All told I think, I'll have about $300 in it when I'm done, including a dedicated saw to use on it.
I'm guessing nobody else has made one, but if anyone has, do you like it?
Old Nick wrote:

Randy wrote:

Randy...
Please keep us posted on your progress! I've been doing the same and think (hope) I'm on about the same schedule. Those off-the-shelf units that approach "affordable" seem to be universally too short; and those that're long enough are too pricey.
I'm cutting a fair number of plywood sheets for solar heating panels using the Lee Valley saw guide, which works well; but isn't really well-suited to production use.
The Rockler plans/reprint look like a good starting point for a new design; but I think I'll build with chrome-molly steel, Delrin, UHMWPE, and stainless fasteners - and yes, I'm planning to like it fairly well (-:
I built a sled for my TS (under influence of the wRECk) and have been pondering incorporation of a lockable "panel sled" moving on linear bearings into my design. It might make the darned thing a lot easier to use...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.

is
There maybe panel saws on the market that can cut sheet good at an angle, but the one in my local Home Depot only cuts vertical and horizontal. What about diagonal?
I was comparing it to the average table saw. FWIW are you talking just panels? What are the lumber capabilities of a panel saw? I've only cut panels on one.
Rich

would

Cooking show (Good Eats -- Recommended) host Alton Brown puts it this way:
"The only single tasker I permit in my kitchen is the fire extinguisher." Instead of a garlic press, he uses a marble scrap he got for free from a tile guy.
Were I making kitchen cabinets for a living, I'd consider the benefits. BUT, for me, the money-space budget simply doesn't justify it.
I setup sheetgoods on horses with a shop-built guide and cut everything to finished size at the top of the project with a circular saw. If it's raining, I might have to rearrange my garage.
Considering it's "Just a circular saw . . " I've done quite a lot of good accurate woodworking with it. Great multitasker for the guy (*WAVES*) for whom dissecting sheet goods on a contractor saw is outside of his comfort/safety zone.
Even if I had a Nahm budget, I'm not sure I'd want one, any more than I think I'd want his dedicated pocket hole machine and resaw bandsaw, though obviously if I'm building hundreds of face frames or working with exotic veneers, that all changes.
*checks to see if SWMBO is reading*
*convinced he's alone, starts sketching how to arrange things to fit the panel saw, pocket hole machine, Laguna Megablurfl . . . *

Oh bull! Everyone knows a fire extinguisher is not a single task device. Hell - it can be used as an excellent rolling pin, and all of us know that it can also be called upon to act as a hammer in a pinch, when you simply must drive that 16D through the cutting board to hold it in place, but can't run out to the garage for the claw hammer.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Curious fire extinguisher incident. Back in about 1978-79 my father was working at a shipyard scrapping out old Liberty ships. The crane operator tried too heavy a lift and started to tip, so he tripped the load. The crane (large crawler) whipped back and forth a few times then hopped off the 12x12 wood (OWWR) tracks it sat on and dropped to the concrete pier. The fire extinguisher (metal cased dry chemical type) dropped out of the cab as it was swaying and fell just ahead of the crane, which then landed on top of the fire extinguisher. He later showed me where the fire extinguisher was driven into the concrete of the pier *without bursting* by the weight of the crane. Impressed the heck out of me both the weight of the crane and how much pressure the extinguisher took.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
<...previous quote snipped...>

Of couse the classic use for a CO2 extinguisher is as a "thermostat security enclosure override device"
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

that
can't
I'm really quite surprised, having expanded the topic to common usages of CO2 fire extinguishers, that nobody has picked up on it's most common use. Doesn't everybody use it to chase the wife around the house with short little spurts? It raises foreplay to entire new levels. Note of caution - do not let he point it at you. You think a cold shower has a profound effect...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:52:38 +0000, Mike Marlow wrote:

Indeed, I used my fire extinguisher as a rolling pin this very evening (my actual rolling pin is packed in a box because I'm moving). Wrapped it in aluminum foil first, though.
That ought to put me into the Misuse Of Tools Hall Of Fame (if I hadn't already made it there by using Vice-Grips to stir paint once when I was 9). Worked OK, but was a pain to use because the handle and nozzle protrude out past the radius of the body.
--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply