Pancake Compressor Repair?

Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?
Sounds like the compressor/pump, as the motor runs, but more like a sewing machine, and no air feeding the tank.
http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/pancake-style-pump-p-1124.html
The parts, if they're indeed the correct ones, look pretty straightforward.
Just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it cost effective (I have another AC, but I hate to just junk something that could be put back in service for the kind of prices listed above)
Thanks in advance.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Not torn apart an oiless one (yet) but it appears you have nothing to loose but some time to disassemble it and find out what parts are needed. When you know that, then only you can judge if its cost effective or not. What's your time worth versus just chucking it and getting a new one?
Bob S.
Swingman wrote:

yours/mine was repaired by sticking in a couple of new valves...they're like reed valves. IF.. and I mean IF the parts are available, I would love to see a play-by-play repair method. Please share whatever you can find... I'm on the job seeing what I can find.
Regardless, I think ...again IF the parts are available, it is a unit worth saving. It is a good little pump.
----. who was wondering when those units were going to shit the bed.
I'm sure hoping this is going to be one of those good threads.
again
The best advice I've ever seen was this; "The vulnerable part of any compressor pump is the valves. It's generally a good idea to buy a valve and gasket kit when you buy the compressor. You'll need them ten years in the future on Christmas Eve when the compressor dies just before you need to apply the final coat of lacquer on the blanket chest intended for your about-to-be-married granddaughter."
Mort
Swingman wrote:

Mort Stevens wrote:

By which time you will have not the slightest clue what you did with the valve and gasket kit when you put them somewhere that you would be sure to be able to find them.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
"Mort Stevens" wrote in message ...

Good advice ... it was the first thing I was going to check when I get it apart. I'd love to save the thing for the cost of a set of valves just on principle alone.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06