palm sanders...disc or square?

need to buy one soon...my current understanding of the pros and cons are as follows:
square (well rectangular) pros-uses regular sheets cut down to fit the sander...easier and cheaper to find paper cons-?
circular cons-harder to find paper pros-removes material better? (don't know if this is the case or not)
any help appreciated..
Larry
Larry asks:

Slow removal; leaves swirl marks if you're not careful.
Having to cut the paper to fit is also a con.

Let's call this an ROS, random orbit sander

You're kidding, right? All over the place. It costs a little more than sandpaper sheets, but is available at most places that sell tools in a wide variety, Lee Valley, McFeeley's, Klingspor, are among the many who sell a variety of grits and styles (get hook and loop: it saves more easily than PSA).

Removes more wood faster with fewer marks than square or rectangular finish sanders. It doesn't get into corners well, which is why most of us have both.
Charlie Self
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." George W. Bush, Greater Nashua,N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000
"Charlie Self" writes:

wide
PSA).
finish
both.
Trashed a couple of rectangular Makita sanders which had long outlived their useful lives.
You need to get into corners?
That's probably why Fein offers their detail sander.
IMHO, coupled with a good ROS, it's the only way to go.
--
Lew

best help I can give you is:
Buy one of each kind, Larry, as they are not that expensive. If you can afford to buy wood for a project you can afford to have a disc AND a 1/4 pad sander. It's easier to use a 1/4 pad sander on edges, and yes, it is less aggressive than a disc sander. You'll find distinct needs for each sander, so get both.
dave
Larry wrote:

Get a square one. In addition to using standard paper, ever try to get something round into a square corner?

--------------070105040008070100010808 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thanks everyone for the replys....very informative......will get both....looked at what HD and Lowes had available....may just go mail order....of course, the gentleman that suggested the Fein did strike a chord, as I have been looking at that for quite a while.
Larry
CW wrote:

square (well rectangular) pros-uses regular sheets cut down to fit the sander...easier and cheaper to find paper cons-?
circular cons-harder to find paper pros-removes material better? (don't know if this is the case or not)
any help appreciated..
Larry
--------------070105040008070100010808--

plus the finish sander works better with finer grits and works better on smaller area's.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
---snip---