Palm Sander vs. Random Orbit Sander

that might depend on where you live....

when my old ROS died about 5 years ago, I was looking for a new one... it was about the time that all the finishing sanders with round and triangle heads appeared... Not only did I have a hard time finding much of a selection in local stores, but most people were surprised that I WANTED a ROS, with all the other types available...

To me, the ROS fills the gap between the belt/disk sander and the palm sander..

IMHO, using one type (ROS/palm/finishing) of sander to do everything is like using an 1/8" router blade to rip boards.... you need to give up the "crutch" of overusing a favorite tool (or software *g*) and decide if it's really the best tool for the job at hand..

Reply to
mac davis

For the work you are describing and especially if you are using plywood, I would go with a PC SpeedBloc finish sander with PSA paper. Second choice, same sander with Hook and Loop paper.

Reply to
Leon

Uh huh... For 15 years I have been using 120 grit on my PC ROS and 180 grit on my SpeedBloc finish sander. No other grits so to speak.

Reply to
Leon

If you can locate a local trades supply store, you can do much better. In Houston I buy Porter Cable PSA 5" with individually protective backs in a box of 50 for $12.99.

Reply to
Leon

yeah.. I use 100 on the ROS and 220 on the palm.. can't remember what's on the finish sanding block, 300 something...

Reply to
mac davis

Hi Kevin,

Have a compressor? I finally went to a Porter Cable ROS. It died within a year. I then bought a 5" Dynabrade 5" ROS. About 8 -10 times faster than the P.C.. The P.C. was noticably better than my

1/2 sheet Rockwell that I had always sworn by. The Dynabrade is far superior to the P.C. ROS.

I bought mine on closeout from jjkair.com. It was about $400 but the closeout price was about $115 w/ shipping. Believe I bought the 11011. Along with the sanding time cut to 1/10th, you will also see far fewer sanding marks. The speed dial is right next to the trigger. Can do gentle work or carve spruce Cello and violin tops.

I would never go back to electric sanders. Don't buy a cheap ROS, they are just a waste of time and money. I bought the Dynabrade for my own use but I also use it comercially. Have used cheaper model Dynabrades. Good, but not as good as the top of the line. For my employer, time is money, so I have no option as to air or electric. Need a very high quality finish and need it quickly. Only air power will give us that. In defense of electric sanders I understand that the big (and heavy!) Fein produces very good results and will do so quickly. The Fein is heavier and expensive. Being electric it is also expensive to repair, and will have a very short service life when compared to pneumatic sanders.

Stopped by my Dad's shop the other day. Used his 5" Dewalt electric sander. These are great for frustrating your 6 year old son. He'll become an accountant and not a wood- worker after using that kind of toy.

A good electric ROS now seems like a slow burnisher. You won't know the agony you suffered until you use a very good air powered ROS. You'll need a larger compressor but this is the perfect argument for buying one.

JMO... -Rick

Hi All,

Reply to
Sbtypesetter