Painting Tanalised Wood.

Am about to put up a fence outside using tanalised timber planks and posts. I figured it would be easier to paint them before I put the fence up (well actually, get the missus to do the painting!!).

The bloke at the timber yard told me that if I use bog standard fence panel cupronol type water based paint, it will wash straight off when it rains, as it will not take to tanalised wood.

Is there any truth in this?

If so, what would I use?

Thanks....

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

"Tanalised" ? Isn't that the sex/yoga thing was Sting was supposed to be into?

Reply to
Norm Underwood

I cannot see why it should. I seem to remember doing just this with Tanalised wood but cannot be 100% sure. Try a piece and see. For Norm's benefit. Tanalith is a UK trade name for the treatment chemical used when pressure treating timber. It's generic name is CCA which is Copper Chromium Arsenic. Those are the active ingredients. They are perfectly stable once they have dried into the woods cellular structure. However, pressure treated wood should not be burned for disposal. I would also advise against eating it. That may not be a likely thing for you and I to do but don't make children's toys or dog kennels out of it.

John

Reply to
John Manders

The CCA treated wood will not hold paint well until it is dried out. Normally in the US this stiff is sold in a very wet condition and does not paint well.

Reply to
Leon