Painting Sheetmetal???

I reciently built a cyclone and would like to paint the sheetmetal. Is there anything special I need to paint it w/. Or anything special I need to do b4 I paint it? Im assuming something like normal spray paint would work fine.

TIA Rob

Reply to
Rob V

Clean off any oils. Use a metal primer, then spray paint as you'd like.

You can also get it powder coated if you want it to be fancy. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Proper way is to wash down the metal with a phosphoric acid solution to etch the metal then cover with a base primer (DuPont Variprime). Follow by a sealer or just top coat with a good acrylic enamel or lacquer. (basically what one would do when painting a car)

If you want cheaper: wipe down the metal to remove _all_ grease, you can do this with acetone or lacquer thinner. It would be good to etch the metal with some weak acid solution but some spray primers have this as part of their solvent base. Paint with a good metal primer (the primer is the most important part, good primer, good service life) Topcoat with a quality (enamel) paint.

-Bruce

Rob V wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

What he said. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Bob Stewart

Yes, vinegar will work but you need to be a bit more careful about the pre-paint cleanup. Vinegar treated steel will rust in short order an you'll be back to square one unless you get the residue off and metal primed asap.

What the phosphoric acid does for you is it converts and surface oxidation into some form of hard rust (iron phosphate???) that forms a great bond between the primer and metal. Back when I painted lots of cars I would get the stuff from any auto paint store, the DuPont product name was "Metal Prep" IIRC.

Look at the deck wash and tile cleaning stuff at hardware/homecenter stores. Some times it'll be phosphoric acid based, color is usually pinkish or greenish. Avoid the muratic acid based stuff.

Good 'ol vinegar followed immediately with a solvent washdown will probably be good 'nuff (and cheaper) for what you are trying to do.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Reply to
Rob V

what the others said, and zinc chromate primer is good stuff to prime with.

dave

Rob V wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

but REALLY not good to breathe. wear the correct mask for this, and that doesn't mean a paper mask.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer