Painting pressure treated lumber

Page 4 of 4

Not even walked on. My balusters and rails would peel every couple of years, too. It's places that get and stay wet for periods of time. Fascia and soffits, particularly, don't tend to stay wet.
On 10/2/12 11:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

He was replying to someone who said "PT chemicals prevent paint adhesion," which isn't true.
--

-MIKE-

I have no direct information there but I've never had problems with paint sticking to the trim on the house. Same paint. Same prep. The trim wasn't PT, though.

Appreciate all the varied responses -- a surprising lack of consensus!! But all good perspective on the problem.
If I can ascertain if stain might make a good primer for paint, I'll try that. Altho, perhaps a good way to go would be to just find a suitable stain, spray that on, see how it holds up, and then try painting in a year or two if the stain fades, doesn't hold up, etc..
Someone mentioned painting at 50+ F. Does that apply to stain, as well?? If so, I'll have to sort of trade off drying time with temp, as fall is already here.
alt.home.repair was trimmed from this piece of the thread, but since it was the only ref, I though the ahr people could benefit from it.
=============> "Contrary to the belief of many consumer's and paint companies, it is

Good to know but I noticed that most suggested coverings that you mentioned above are not opaque, as paint is. So I would surmise that paint would not be a good coating for new PT wood. =================== I thought the ".... coated as soon as possible...." was interesting.
So basically I'm going to just give this a shot. My cobbled-up paint sprayer will make this a whole lot easier, that is f'sure.
--
EA