Painting mahogany furniture

We have an older mahogany hutch that my wife wants to repurpose. Her visio n includes painting it. As distasteful as this notion is to me, I am keepi ng my mouth shut as domestic tranquility is paramount for me. So ... do I need to rough up this innocent hutch with 120 or 150 or just lay down a coa t of good primer?
Thanks,
Larry
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

depends what is on it now
On 8/17/2016 7:38 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I understand the domestic harmony, but before you paint it, two things to consider. 1. Does it have any value as an antique? 2. Assuming #1 is a no. . .If the existing finish is stripped and done over will she realize the beauty of it?
When I was five years old my mother bought new furniture for the room I shared with my brother. Years later when he got married he took a maple bureau to his house. At that time it was trendy to paint furniture with an antiquing kit. Stylish in 1965, it was ugly in 2005. Back in my possession I stripped it and refinished it, suddenly I had a very nice looking piece of solid maple furniture.