painting hardboard

I'm just about done with some cubbies for the kids that will have sliding bypass doors of hardboard. Never tried painting this stuff, will standard primer and paint work or do I need something special? Also has anyone tried the 'chalkboard' paint? I saw a display last time I was at the Ben Moore store and wonder if it really works.

Reply to
RayV

Primer is ok for the hardboard,just buy normal black matt for the blackboard.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

My son used some of the chalkboard paint (Crayola!!) with great success on a drywall. Just masked it for a nice edge. Worked great. In that case, he also used an eggshell paint on the rest of the wall so it could be easily cleaned with water.

Reply to
professorpaul

Any need to sand of scuff the glossy side of the hardboard before painting?

Reply to
RayV

Ray, Not really . . .

I use sheets of 1/8in and 1/4in for Drawing, or Routing, Templates. A rolled on coat of water-based white primer only takes a few minutes, and gives a surface that takes pencil very well - a fine 'matt'.

Ron Magen

Now that's a good idea! I've been thinking back to HS and trying to google the stuff that covered the drafting tables to make up a table. Hardboard seems like it is just the right hardness for drawing on.

Reply to
RayV

It's used in the art world all the time. Most good art stores carry hardboard in various sized. It's used as a surface for painting and drawing. You can even buy it pre-primed or Gessoed and ready for oil paint.

D. G. Adams

Reply to
dgadams