Painting & Brush Marks

I'm getting brush marks when painting a plywood cabinet and not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm using gloss latex paint over latex primer. Do I need to thin the paint or lay down more paint, or something else?

A couple of suggestions. One, there's a product called Floetrol that can be added to your paint. It improves the flowout of latex paints and extends the drying time slightly, which in turn helps to minimize brush marks. Most paint stores and big box home stores carry it. The other item to consider is your paintbrush. Ideally you'd be using a brush made specifically for latex paints with synthetic bristles and flogged ends.

Change brushes. Use one of the pad brushes that look and feel like velvet.

How 'bout if I cut up my old Velvet Elvis that for so long has hung over the LR couch?

'~) Only if you glue foam rubber to the back of it.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
OOI, has anyone _tried_ the old oil-based idea of "lots of thin, rather than one thick" as in actually water the paint down, idea? I can see problems with running, so you would need to lay down lots of careful layers. But plastic paints were designed to "cream" onto walls etc with as few coats as possible. IMO.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........
If you go the Floetrol route, remember that it will start to thin the paint. A tiny bit of Floetrol won't make a noticeable difference but if you work your way to the recommended maximum, you will start to see a difference. Someone already suggested using the right brush. Use a synthetic. A natural bristle brush tens to clump in water borne paints. Think of what you hair looks like after a shower. The pad suggestion is a good one but I found they don't hold much paint. I used to hate it when I heard the suggestion of "flow on the paint". Now that I've done it a few times, I must say it is the correct advice. Don't try to "brush" on the paint as much as letting a slightly thick layer flow from the brush to the plywood. Initially, it looks like too much was applied but as the paint dries and then cures, it looks like the proper amount but with no brush marks. Don't overbrush the paint. Once it is on the plywood, leave it alone. The only possible exception to this is to "tip off" the wet paint immediately after it has been applied. This may help level the coating before it starts to dry. I do not recommend this technique with acrylic paints but for standard vinyl or vinyl + acrylic it may work very well.
Good Luck.

You have to use the pad brushes with the foam rubber backing. I generally can paint the side of a door with about 4 dips into the paint tray.

Did you "tip off?" Use the proper brush? Paint horizontal surfaces? Paint too thick? Lightly sanding between coats?