Paint removal on Stanley scraper N°80

Hello woodworkers,

I am in possession of a Stanley Scaper N° 80 with several layers of paint on it. The scraper and the blade are in very good condition.

Has anyone a hint how to remove those layers of ugly paint (several of greenish-blue one on top of the other, with some rusty spots here and there) from the metal (by chemical means is preferable - because scraping the layers of paint in all the corners is not an option, I would do more damage to the scraper metal than is indented to) so I can restore the N° 80 to it's original colors with a powder coating spray gun and bake in an oven afterwards. The bolts are all shiny and new after a Dremel tool treatment.

Many thanks for a reply and best regards,

Marc

Reply to
Marc

I've had some success (not total) with soaking the entire tool in lacquer thinner for a few days. With many but not all types of paint it softens it enough to remove with a wire brush or steel wool. Unfortunately some paints seem to be relatively unscathed by this treatment. I imagine some of the commercial paint strippers might work, but I don't know if they have any corrosive properties to be worried about.

Reply to
Larry W