Paint from Metal

Hi all:

This may not be the place to ask this question so please direct me elsewhere if necessary.

I have several old glass doorknobs which came with the metal plate that screwed to the door (about 2 inches wide by about 6 inches high). Unfortunately someone in the past painted them with what looks like an oil base paint, possibly even enamel. Can I get the paint off? If so, how would you suggest? I use Circa 1850 on wood but am hesitant to use it on the metal? Is that the answer or is there some other, better, way?

Thanks in advance.

Richard Shelson

Reply to
Dorothy and Richard Shelson

In my experience, using paint stripper or allowing the part to soak in lacquer thinner removed the old paint with no problem. If you go this route, don't allow the paint solvent to enter the area where the glass knob meets the metal - you would very likely disolve the glue holding the glass in place.

Once the paint wrinkles and lifts you can use a soft brass brush or 3M fine synthetic wool to help out with the stubborn spots and clean up the brass. Rinse well, but again keep the water away from the glue area. Polish with brass cleaner and enjoy.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC