OWWM.com

For any of you who haven't visited www.owwm.com, it's worth checking out. I'm a big fan. My latest partially completed restoration is a 17" Delta Drill Press. The nearest I can tell is that it's made in the late 30s/early 40s. The publication I found at owwm was printed in 1941. No luck on the serial number - it's 2-3267. This must have been from before they started keeping records, so I've read. Someday, maybe, if I ever finish it, I'll take a picture and mail it to The Internet. Not sure how that envelope makes it's way around the world, but I just bought a BlackBerry Cell Phone so I'm guessing I'll be a real digital daddy by this time next week.
Thanks to the folks at Old Woodworking Machinery dot com!
JP

Agreed! What a great site... especially for those of us raised on yard sale purchases.
Ed
"Jay Pique" wrote

Good on ya for keeping that old iron in play.

What did you get? I'm eligible for Verizon's "new every two" and my youngest daughter has been trying to talk me into a Storm ... only because she's like to get her hands on it. I could get a Curve free (well, with a $70 rebate), but it would cost another $49.99/mo more that I'm paying right now for the same number of minutes with data plan.
With an old LG speaker phone that works just fine, powered by what must be a top secret, experimental battery in it because it'll run for three or four days without a charge, I'm wondering why I'd even want to.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Blackberry Bold here. Nothing like it. Period. I like it way better than the iPhone toy. Blackberry maps are cool, so is the GPS. I use that stuff a lot and the e-mail features are second to none. A simple planner, simple calendar.. simple to use that is. Oh.. and it browses on 3G. Very fast A pretty decent camera built in as well. 2MP. Enough to take some shots when working out a quote for a job. Includes a free iPod-grade music player. It is a business phone in the same way an Audi S4 is a company car.
Robatoy wrote:

They all stink when your boss gives it to you. <G>

<G> The hospital wanted to give Angela one. She gracefully (to theirface) declined.
"Robatoy" wrote:
<G> The hospital wanted to give Angela one. She gracefully (to theirface) declined.
I constantly get asked, "What's your cell?"
I always answer, "My electronic baby sitter is on strike, but voice mail still works."
If I can get along without a wrist watch, I can get along without a cell.
Lew
Robatoy wrote:

So did I!
I'll let you know how that works out.

Ooooh... the Bold?! I thought about it, but went with the Curve for just $80. I've never had a smartphone so I figured I wouldn't really know what I was missing by not getting the latest and greatest. So far I really, really like it. The camera is very good - 2MP, and I put an 8gig chip in it and it holds loads and loads of data. Music comes next. I'm very, very excited about that!
JP ****************** Got Radiohead?

Isn't the Storm a touchscreen and do ya ken 'em?
I had a BlackBerry at my previous employment and it is a decent slave bracelet but, if I were to suffer same again, I would have something that used MS Office natively.
YMMV
tom
Regards,
"Tom Watson" wrote

It is ...you're right, woodworkers, with glue/various other stuff on fingers, probably don't want to touch anything.

Good point ... the last two thirds of my life is digitized and condensed onto Windows, Word, Excel, Money and Outlook.
Hmmm ... scary thought!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I think it is a wonderful thought.
I love the idea of being onsite and having every piece of data from my Excel files available to me on my carry piece.
Albeit that it is shown at the first level in truncated form, the entire file is there and, should I have the desire to do so, I can prove out my estimate v. actual columns in a heartbeat.
I also carry current price data from my suppliers in Excel format - available on the carry piece.
I used to use Eudora for email, Agent for newsgroups, Quicken for simple accounting, Adobe for photos - I have regressed to the Lingua Franca - and, since everyone speaks it - it works well enough.
tom
Regards,

My Berry has Word, Excel and Powerpoint....Don't they all these days?

It's getting there...slowly. I'm going to need to do some cast iron brazing or welding for the cover. I was clumsy and broke off a small corner. I was thinking JB Weld initially, but then I wondered if that wasn't taking the easy way out. I want to feel like this thing is done right.
Anyone have any tips for cast iron repair?
Pics will be forthcoming, I promise.
JP

When I started chasing down info. on my tools, I found that the casting numbers, which appear as raised numbers and letters, were more helpful in locating info. and age than were serial numbers.
I was very appreciative when I found the original manual for my old Craftsman Arrra Arm 10 inch. (Back when a Craftsman radial arm saw was solid.)
http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/pubdetail.aspx?id=1997 Someone copied and uploaded the original manual. I had to take the saw apart for repair. What a life saver it was to have the exploded view drawings.
I looked up some of my other tools. My belt driven Delta table saw and jointer combo. dated to 1945. http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=2307
My Delta drill press dated to 1936, still running like a champ.