Overuse of machine tools?

Utter bullshit. You do know that cuts are quite regional.

They don't know because it doesn't matter to them.

Personal choice. Some have other things to spend money on. Why can't you accept that others don't value the same things you do.

Reply to
krw

I have always said, quality is always in style.

Reply to
Leon

Ahhh so you know... ;~) If you are not near a store that would be a bummer. We actually found the chairs we liked at a store 200+ miles away and there would be a delivery charge. Luckily we found the same chair in a Houston Amish store.

Reply to
Leon

Location, Location I guess, Our 6 chairs were basically $1500 and a table was in the $1200 range. The Hutch was $2400 IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I know. I was contracting working in Ohio for a year. The money was good and I was working 65 and 70 hour weeks, we went all-in while we were there (got a handmade quilt for the bed, too). We figured that we should add something to the family heirlooms. ;-) They'll be around long after we will.

Reply to
krw

No, people do not look at the back of the furniture. I do. If it looks like crap on the back it probably looks that way on the inside too. I want the inside of my furniture to look like it was built by some one that pays attention to details.

Reply to
Leon

Unfortunately Ikea does not corner the market in that respect.

What I find funny is all that HIGH dollar furniture that is painted, to cover up the fact that the wood is a mish mash of marginal woods.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, they probably will be around for a very long time. My wife is a quilter, she looks at the quilts I look at the furniture.

Reply to
Leon

*SOME* are. Most are quite happy with termite vomit and Nalga skins, if the choice is real $$.

Most are going to throw it away in a couple of years, or have kids or pets that will beat the crap out of it before then, anyway.

I think that's what I paid for these. Maybe a little more.

Of course there's a wide variety of pricing on this stuff. My point is that people really don't care enough to educate themselves. They have more important things to do. They're probably right, too.

Reply to
krw

I don't remember the exact prices but we bought a huge table (four leaves, which have never been taken out of storage inside the table), hutch, six chairs, king-sized bed, dresser, mirror), chest, and bench. All Mission style, in Cherry, with self/soft bottom-mount closers on all drawers. The hutch and dresser were custom (nonstandard configuration).

We've moved twice since, with one moving company leaving their "addition". :-(

Oh, included in that price was half of my Unisaw. I used a credit card to buy it that had a 5% cash back teaser bonus. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I think this actually fits with what I wrote... For those whom cannot understand the difference even with some guidance there are myriad choices of mediocre stuff available to them! We cannot take it personally when they do so... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Wed, 01 May 2013 13:03:24 -0500, Leon

I'll agree with that. Whether it's furniture, electronics or whatever, I always enjoy window shopping or browsing online just to see what's new or different out there.

And, that especially extends to when I'm looking to embark on a new woodworking project for myself. I like to look through a furniture or cabinet store to get ideas for building something and then I add my own design features to that item.

Reply to
none

I'd guess that the dark stain is used to hide blemishes or at the very least, the type of wood it is. Particle board with a dark stain is not nearly as obvious as it is with a lighter stain.

Reply to
none

Generally you get what you pay for. Even back when everything was hand-made only the wealthier families had the good stuff.

There is a wide range of quality antique furniture around, particularly chairs. I was offered 8 Larkin cane-seat chairs, circa 1908 vintage, like new condition for $1200 the other day; might take them up on the offer this weekend to go with the antique dining room table (quartersawn oak, 4' dia (11' long with all 6 installed leaves)), lions feet, mobile center leg I recently acquired.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On Thu, 02 May 2013 13:44:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)

Unfortunately, there are exceptions due to age. I inherited my father's Emmert vise about twenty five years ago. Even then it was falling apart due to metal fatigue. I had it examined for possible repair and was told that the metal fatigue would continue until it was completely useless.

Agreed, it's not exactly the same thing as a wooden chair, but age and use eventually catches up with everything.

Reply to
none

My father always looked at the back of a man's shoes; if they were scuffed/not polished and the rest of the shoe looked good he figured that the guy was a corner cutter.

Reply to
dadiOH

Seems to me Peanuts' Linus only polished the front... didn't care what people thought as he walked away. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

What varies is the phony names that local often markets ascribe *TO* them but "flat bone sirloin" is/was a universal name all across the US. Same with T-bone...porterhouse...rib...round, and all other parts; all are/were standard. ________________

Perhaps it should. That way, when they chow down to or buy a luscious "ribeye" they would actually be *getting* ribeye instead of rib steak. _______________

I have zero problem with that; however, "choice" implies that someone has weighed the merits of two or more things and has based their decision on those merits as they apply to their need. That's what most people do NOT do.

Reply to
dadiOH

Also known as "Boneless Top Sirloin Steak" when the backbone is removed prior to retail sale. Something that can be found in pretty much every grocery.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Exactly my point, names of cuts and the cuts themselves change by region. Defining someone as a "butcher", or not, by knowing what one regional name for a cut of meat is absurd.

Reply to
krw