OVAL PICTURE FRAME

Page 1 of 2

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/moneyproject.htm
JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.
J T wrote:

What about that project is worthy of posting?
RicodJour wrote:

For those who don't know how to draw an oval to set dimensions, it is very worthy. I'm constantly amazed by those in the group who do not know stuff which I take for granted, or seems so easy it's obvious. Occasionally I kick myself around the block "when somebody posts a simple solution to a problem" which I reckon I should have been able to work out. People tackling problems from different angles and perspectives is what it's all about. I'm sure that someone will see this job and thoroughly enjoy making it. Just my 2 bob's worth. John
Wed, Mar 1, 2006, 8:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth burble: What about that project is worthy of posting?
Upon contemplation, perhaps you are correct. So, in it's place, I submit this project, as being more worthy of your talents. Enjoy, and be sure to post a picture of your efforts on A.B.P.W. http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/popframe.html
JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.
J T wrote:

Chuckle. Okay, now that we got that out of the way...
What prompted you to post that oval picture frame project? Is it something you made? Is that something you wrote up for them? Is it something you admire?
That particular project is at least 30 years old (age doesn't improve everything), is a bad picture of a mediocre project, and is awkward from an esthetic point of view.
Notice how the sides of the oval look thinner than the top and bottom? it's an illusion, but it's an illusion that everyone sees. Take a look at this project: http://www.dreambuiltdesigns.com/plans/ovalframe.html That's not an award winning project either, but at least it has some more graceful lines and accounts for the apparent disparity in frame thickness by accentuating the ends.
So...what prompted you to post that project?
Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 7:53am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth query: <snip> So...what prompted you to post that project?
Same thing that prompted me to post the others I've posted - side-effect. Then there's kama, etc. Finally, why not?
It's also free.
JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.
J T wrote:

Free is good - useful and interesting is better. Here's the Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" button result for a search - oval wood frame layout. http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_decorative_furnishings/article/0,2049,DIY_14441_2277964,00.html
That's free, too. The article is better written (what's with all of the 20 links in that Shopsmith link article leading to the same flipping two figures?!), the pictures are much clearer, it shows in detail all of the steps for laying out the oval and the project is much more interesting.
I guess whatever floats your boat is fine, but the Shopsmith project and link should be allowed to die its inevitable slow death undisturbed.

That's for sure. I don't even glance at JTs endless useless [e.g. popsicle sticks] sites any more. We must have a different sense of humour.
An oval is simple to construct by hand, and the other images shown are just two offset ovals, one inside the other. All you need is some squared paper, and the max-min dimensions of each oval.

I use this. It meets all my oval needs :) http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/callipse.htm
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:06:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

How do you get it from there to the paper? String tends to stretch, and it's tough to get the true length when wrapping around two pins. I use two concentric circles, straight edge, then join the dots. ...only a quarter to be exact, since it can be flipped for the rest of the ellipse.
The Guess who entity posted thusly:

How do you get an ellipse from the materials you mention? I've made many an ellipse using the string method. You need to be a bit careful to not stretch the string. If I needed a particular sized ellipse, I'd be tempted to use a plot from my computer.
Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 1:26pm snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Guesswho) doth sayeth: That's for sure. I don't even glance at JTs endless useless [e.g. popsicle sticks] sites any more. We must have a different sense of humour. <snip>
That's one of the reasons my plans posts always have the subjects in caps. That way you can easily ignore them if you want. No prob.
JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:17:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

No problem at all, but with all that time on your hands, why not look for something actually useful? I mean that in a good way. It *could* be a useful resource if you put your mind to it, and you'd be providing a service instead of an off-tilt humour. At least the present postings take away bandwidth from the multiple nuts who post totally OT. They're getting to be downright scary. I'm thinking the institutions have been given a grant to supply the inmates with computers. Sort of LNAB as technology advances.
Fri, Mar 3, 2006, 10:18am snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Guesswho) doth wonder: No problem at all, but with all that time on your hands, why not look for something actually useful? I mean that in a good way. It *could* be a useful resource if you put your mind to it, and you'd be providing a service instead of an off-tilt humour. At least the present postings take away bandwidth from the multiple nuts who post totally OT. They're getting to be downright scary. I'm thinking the institutions have been given a grant to supply the inmates with computers. Sort of LNAB as technology advances.
LMAO. I do look for something actually useful. For me. I keep telling you guys, what I post is side-effects, from searches for info for myself. Besides, considering that we've got people here with skills ranging from whittling with a dull knife, to real woodworking artists, it's all useful to someone. I pass stuff along because I believe in sharing info someone might be able to use - different background, different generation, from a lot. And, if it wasn't fun, wouldn't do it.
As is, it would seem that life may finally be allowing me to proceed on a personal project, or three, that's been on the back burner for some time. So, for an unknown period, my time should be pretty much absorbed by that, so my searching probably won't turn up much wood stuff. Whcih means you guys are gonna have to stumple along on your own. LOL
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
Thu, Mar 2, 2006, 9:55am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth proclaim: Free is good - useful and interesting is better. Here's the Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" button result <snip>
Ah, I see you have missed the point. Totally. Many people do. No matter, you can have what you want.
Accordingly, you are now the official free plans poster to rec.woodworking. We are expecting a lot of plans postings from you. And, no duplication of any plans I've previously posted. Live well, and post plans often.
JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.
J T wrote:

The point is that you feel like posting whatever crappy links you want and you'll defend your right to do so. Great. But don't get mad when people give you heat - just as you give people heat when they post stuff that_you_don't find interesting or new - like the fluting jig guy.

Heh. You sound like a little kid that didn't get his way.
JP
Fri, Mar 3, 2006, 7:45am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JayPique) <snip> just as you give people heat when they post stuff that_you_don't find interesting or new - like the fluting jig guy. <snip>
The fluting guy never indicated he'd done any searching at all. He even wanted to know if anyone knew of a MotherEarch type of woodworking site. If he was such an expert searcher, he'd already have found that. Not a prob anyway, moot now.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

Thanks for trying to volunteer my time, but that's a one man job and I currently occupy the position.
You missed my point. I don't care if it's woodworking, flames, jokes or whatever - all I'd request is some quality. If the post was done as a public service, it was public, but not a service because the quality of that link was so low. If that link to the oval frame in question you posted indicates your sense of humor...well, you're easily amused.
Fri, Mar 3, 2006, 7:54am (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth proclameth: <snip> You missed my point. I don't care if it's woodworking, flames, jokes or whatever - all I'd request is some quality. If the post was done as a public service, it was public, but not a service because the quality of that link was so low. If that link to the oval frame in question you posted indicates your sense of humor...well, you're easily amused.
We've got people on here with ability ranging from whittling with a dull knife, to woodworking artists. From people who've possibly never even picked up a piece of unfinished wood, to people who earn their living working with wood. And, every step in between. And, now I'm supposed to rate the "quality" of the links I post? Yeah, sure, right. I've posted really off-the wall links, and had people (sincerely) thank me, because it was something they needed. I've posted really simple links, and had people thank me, because it was something their kid(s) could do, and loved. I've posted stuff like the infamous Pinecone Turkey, which wan not posted to be serious. I've posted some links to some really first class plans, that anyone would be proud to make. And, I've posted a lot of plans somewhere in the middle. And, I make it a point to put the plans post subjects in caps, so people can avoid them, if they choose.
My background has been to share information. I'd rather hear the same thing a dozen times, than to hear, "I thought you know.". I'm sharing. You can "rate" any plans you want to post. I won't. Moot point anyway - see my previous post - my future searches aren't apt to turn up much wood-related info, for awhile,
RicodJour wrote:

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_decorative_furnishings/article/0,2049,DIY_14441_2277964,00.html
Don't mind JOAT, he's just another curmudgeon. He's giving some other guy grief about asking for info on fluting jigs right now, apparently upset at the wasted bandwidth or something. Then he goes and posts multitudes of links to useless, tasteless crap like the aforementioned "oval picture frame". Indeed, if someone were so inclined to be looking for plans to an "oval picture frame" it could be easily googled. Strange how he'd give someone actually LOOKING for something a hard time, and then feel good about cluttering up the group with crap like this.
JP