Oval picture frame

Page 3 of 3
Two thumbtacks and a closed string. Calculate the foci's points from the major and minor axis. Simple algebra. Once you know - then any size can be done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse
simply :
x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1 where b^2 = a^2 - c^2.
where a is 1/2 long diameter and b = 1/2 short diameter and c is 1/2 the length between pins.
Martin
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/A_Jig_for_Drawing_or_Cutting_Ellipses.html

P.S. Thanks for the meaty actual woodworking post. ;^)

If you only need one and can draw it, draw it up and cut it out with a jigsaw. Leave a bit of excess. Put a sanding drum in your drill press and sand to the line. Use a rabbet bit for the recess.

I'd get a piece of MDF to use for a template. After deciphering Morris' instructions on how to draw an oval, cut it out close with your jigsaw. Smooth it up with a drum sander in your drill press. Cut the real material with the jigsaw as close as you can to the correct shape. Using double-stick tape, adhere the template to the real material. Then use a flush trim router bit to copy the shape of your template. If you can get this far the rabbet is the easy part.
Larry
In my opinion if you are going to do it freehand, then skip the template step and just free hand the blank. My whole reason for a template is to use a trammel and\or other precise methods to form the shape and it is easier and cleaner to hog it out from MDF. Then you can free hand the blank down to very close to the actual finish shape and use the template to guide a trim pass.
nza.aioe.org:

On 3/29/2010 12:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I did a cursory search but can't find it, but David J. Marks had a helluva good episode on making an oval mirror(IRRC) frame ... would really be worthwhile tracking down the show.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

If I recall many years ago either ShopNotes or Woodsmith magazine had plans for a router jig to make elliptical frames. I believe it used 1/4" threaded rod to allow adjustment to various sizes. The router mounted directly to the jig.
I tried a Google search and came up blank. Anyone have their index(s) (I'm pretty sure it was ShopNotes).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA