Outhouse ideas

Page 3 of 3

I was in a Tractor Supply [for the first time] today and there on their book/magazine rack was a thin, hardcover book "Outhouses" by a Holly Bollinger. Mostly pictures but some real unusual styles. FWIW.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Steve B (in nKZeg.98039$iU2.96066@fed1read01) said:
| I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the | water is shut off. | | I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting | outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, | gun rack, and many things. | | What joke items would you put on it? | | What practical useful things would you put in? | | Steve
Catalogs and corn cobs are for sissies.
Hang up a roll of this stuff:
http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/humor/stainless_steel_toilet_paper.ht ml

Yyyyouch!

Well if you want to show that you are well off you should make it a "two-holer" - then you and the wife can use it at the same time. . .
Having the door cut so you can open the top half and enjoy the view while the bottom part is closed shows class too. . .
BB

That keeper is going to the file. I had a suggestion that we put a window in the top half of a one part door. But I like your Dutch door idea better.
I just had the thought of making a divider between the two holes, and putting two pieces of screen with a gauzy cloth between them like a Catholic confessional. So the two could talk, but have privacy.
Steve

Indeed. Don't make it _too_ close in there. An elderly gentleman who expired in the necessary up here required tearing the place half down to get him out. Frozen, though. A call to remember.
How about a sky light. Sure would be nice to be able to read. Puff

You could always add a nice seat....some horror inspiring thing.... Splinters, rusty nails....that sort of thing.
Another nice touch would be sign with "Please DO NOT feed snakes, mice, or other micellaneous visitors".
how bout doing a 2 story set up
Run an underground cable to supply enough power for a small light so you can find the TP in the dark -- you may not want to turn it on for long in summer as the mosquitoes will find you faster. It may also be useable for a small heater for winter, just to make life a little bit more comfortable. Possibly with a switch in the cabin to pre-heat the privy. All that means you need to weather-strip the door and have any openings closable to keep the heat in. On second thought, why not an AC for summer use, controlled the same as the heater.

I will be putting in a solar powered motion light.
Steve
I recall reading when I lived in Arizona that, historically, the majority of serious/fatal black widow bites occurred in the early years of settlement and resulted from the spiders' fondness for spinning their webs on the cool,dark underside of outhouse seats (and, of course, the lack of access to advanced medical care). Need for caution still pertains: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/black_widow_spider_bite/page9_em.htm
I'll leave the design of a suitable 'spider evicter' as an exercise for the interested reader :-)
David Merrill

In Utah, it is the hobo spider, similar to the brown recluse in its bite.
Steve
*snip*

A series of pinball flippers, maybe? Use the rest of the electronics from the pinball table creatively in the outhose ;-)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

- make it a 2-holer and tell people that there is a hole for each leg and a nice clean board to poop on. - add plastic spiders on the boards - no toilet seat, just the holes - Sears catalog for those 'oops' moments - a few dried corn cobs on the side too - the infamous half moon cut into the door - leave it tilted to one side just for grins - beware of snakes and alligators sign - maybe even a little piped in music of farts or jungle animals or halloween screams - cold wet spagetti on the floor (worms) - you might even add a little water spigot under the boards and give the 'guest' an occasional shot of cold water from afar on their butts from time to time - or a small blast of air. Ahhhhh, the things we did when we were kids to outhouses................
Steve B wrote:

A brick exterior. To be really classy, you use curved bricks and make a _round_ one.
'Walnut paneling' for the interior -- some of that fake Masonite stuff. (It's comparatively inexpensive, and the 'picture of wood' side is impervious to most stuff.)
A dummy security camera, and a "smile, you're on Candid Camera" sign.
Any of numerous things, (delayed-action) activated by the closing of the door.
A fake door on an inside wall, labelled "Jacuzzi".
A trap-door in the floor, labelled "Wine cellar".
If it's on skids/runners -- so you just dig a new hole and move it, when it gets 'full' -- a steering-wheel in front of one of the seats. Which also leads to the possibility of tarting-up the exterior like some of the 'big rigs'.

The obvious -- a roll of TP.
The not-so-obvious -- *another* roll of TP. You *will* discover that the first one runs out at a _most_ inopportune time.
It's a whole lot easier to use at night, if there is at least 'minimal' lighting available in situ.
Switchable heater and/or fan is not a bad idea, either.
Something to use as an 'emergency raincoat' -- again, sooner or later, you will get caught out there by a downpour.
Aerosol air freshener.
Lysol.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
[snippage of some wonderful ideas]
...maybe add:
a velvet Elvis painting... or those dogs playing pool/cards.
a plastic 'wrought iron' torch.. with one of those electric flat filament 'flicker' bulbs?
A Red Green bobble head.

made them from plywood. Called themselves the Birch John Society....
Steve B wrote:

Hanging on the inside of the door, a chalkboard.
--

FF

On Tue, 30 May 2006 08:43:17 -0700, "Steve B"

Make a two-seater, then fill one of them in with a pair of legs sticking out. Put a motion sensor on them so they give a couple of kicks when the door opens.