Outfeed table for smaller shops

I have recently completed an outfeed table and added some pics to the web site. I have procrastinated for years on building one because of limited space. This fits my small shop. Take a look if you like at http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop/outfeedtable.html
Bill Pounds posts:

It looks good, well thought out and made. My only problem with it would be the same difficulty I have with any flat surface in my shop. It would be full instantly. I think the stuff just materializes--"Beam me down, Scotty"--or something. So the folding portion would never get folded.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

See, that's one of the beautiful aspects of this setup. You CAN'T close the garage door with a cluttered outfeed table. So you have to relocate the clutter to every other horizontal surface, sometimes layering weeks worth of projects...DAMHIKT
But Bill doesn't have that problem. He has a clean shop.
Never understood those people....
Patriarch
You should see it this morning after turning a lidded bowl yesterday. Reminds me of Florida at the moment.
I hope no one here was a victim of the hurricane. Shit, what a mess down there.

Snip

Exactly. My first table extension did exactly that. A few years ago when I up graded to a cabinet saw and added the fold up and down out feed "roller" table, that problem disappeared. ;~)
Bill is such a tidy guy, I noticed how his trash cans were lined up all in a row. I bet he'd not have junk pile up on the table (like I do). Worst area is the right hand side of my fence. Always have junk there.
But seriously- I've held off on a proper outfeed table because my floor is so crooked. I'd get it set to one spot, than move things to get at the lathe, than when it went back, everything would be out of whack. Whatever "whack" is.
-Dan V.
On 14 Aug 2004 17:00:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:

I've got a hinged outfeed table similar to the one we're talking about, except it's attached to the saw rather than on rollers. I started to make legs for the drop leaf, but I ended up using an outfeed roller stand for that purpose instead. Works great and infinitely adjustable. I can post a picture if you like in APBW.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Patriarch
My floor is reasonably flat, although not perfect. Are they ever? Someone recently posted a link to a floor leveling pad, from Rockler I think but others have them as well, and it could have been adapted to use a caster. It struck me at the time as a good idea that I could have used, but I was past the design phase on my table. Getting the whole thing to be level with the saw was a challenge. It is not in fact perfectly flat, but I concentrated more on keeping the transitions flush. Precisely level doesn't seem to be necessary.

Pounds on Wood wrote:

My outfeed table is permanently attached to the saw. Since I have webbed cast iron wings, it was a simple matter to sandwich each wing between some angle iron on the bottom and a flat plate on the top with an oak spacer to fill the gap between. The angle iron extends just past the motor on the back (on each side).
The permanent part of the table covers the area that extends back over the motor (about 14"), so the footprint of the saw really isn't any bigger than it was to begin with, allowing for the motor. The drop leaf then extends another 3 feet... just enough so it doesn't drag on the ground when it's in its dropped position.
I covered the outfeed tabletop with malamine on both sides to prevent warpage. The permanent part of the table has miter slots on both sides to accomodate the miter gauge or my crossfeed sled. Turned out pretty good. I keep the dropleaf down most of the time to discourage the collection of crap but it sure does make a fine assembly surface.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:52:56 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

I don't know either, but whenever I run out of it things get downright screwey....

Dan Valleskey responds:

It is a very technical term, everchanging and meaning you are just short of being ready to say, "Ooops!" (You can say "ooops" without using the word "ooops" of course. It just requires refinement of one's vocabulary so that there is a massive infusion of short, pithy Anglo-Saxon words.)
I would hate to see what would happen if I forgot to fold the leaf down before closing the shop door. Fortunately, since a car will never be involved, we never use the remote controls. I have to watch for dogs when I close the door anyway.
I have an abundance of counter tops in my shop. At least I think I do, haven't actually seen the "top" part in a while :-)

Bill Pounds writes:

Normal. I have an abundance, too, which includes an 8' workbench, 2 5' workbenches, and a 32' countertop. I usually have to spend time clearing space to work, or set up a WorkMate. If I can find the floor space for that.
nice outfeed table.