Outfeed table for saw?

Page 2 of 2
Guy LaRochelle said:

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture
A binary posting usenet group used by the wreck denizens, as is:
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
FWIW,
Greg G.
Build it - will be a LOT less expensive than buying one
Would suggest it be as wide as the table top, and at least 4ft long. Route out recesses for the miter bar slots
You can find adjustable legs in most of the woodworking catalogs
You could even formica the top to get you a tough, wear resist and smooth surface for the wood to slide over
Nexttime I will built my outfeed to be the full length of the table and rails, and have it extend 4ft from the table. Only reason I have the Delta outfeed table is that it came as part of the package deal with the saw. Having looked it over before I installed it, I would built one myself next time
John
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:33:17 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

_buy_ adjustable legs? phooey. Rip a 2x4 and run a lag bolt into the bottom. hey, saved $50.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:36:00 -0600, John Crea wrote:

scribbled:

Even better is drill a hole at the bottom of the leg, put in a t-nut and use a carriage/stove bolt with a nut.
I have a 4' x 8' outfeed table that serves double duty as an assembly table. works good.     Bridger
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:33:17 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639331.html
That outfeed is 98" from the front of the saw to the end of the table.
Guy LaRochelle wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Now tell him how much of the 98" is the saw table.
UA100

Oooh! I know! What do I win?
Since space is no consideration this tip will probably not be of any benefit. I thought it would be handy to have a outfeed table with drawers that I could roll between my table saw and shaper. I found a homak tool chest that was 34 inches high. Placed a melamine top on the chest and it matches the height of the table saw and shaper. The chest is a great addition in storing shaper/router bits, saw blades, push sticks, tape measures etc. Cost is about $600. Not cheap, but these are professional grade cabinets and should last a lifetime. URL is
http://www.homakmfg.com/homak/42108r-42041r/42108r-42041r.htm
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:33:17 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

My outfeed table is about the width of the Unisaw plus the extension table. It is about four feet deep. It is on casters but also has cabinet levelers on it so that I can get fussy about the level, when needed, by cranking on the levelers. I don't use jigs that ride in the slots, so the top is one expanse of shiny P-Lam, which helps when riding full sized sheet goods through the saw. I use an outfeed roller (HTC) to catch the outside of the board when doing rips that need this.
You can see what it looks like at:
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page28.htm
It ain't beautiful but it works good.
brought forth from the murky depths:

I'll bet it works well, too. <bseg>
You're all set up to do crosscuts on a 4x12 panel the hard way, aren't you? I'll bet a small plane could land on that thing.
Do you also do assembly on the outfeed table? Height?
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:02:33 GMT, Larry Jaques

I needed the "good" to go with the "ain't", LJ. Y'all need to spend about ten or fifteen years writing dialogue every day to have an appreciation for such things. There's a Chicago Manual of Style 'round here somewheres and a Strunk and White - prolly a copy or two of Turabian and a moldy copy of Stone and Bell but they ain't much use in writin' dialogue good.

Yeah - I never built a proper assembly table and would use the outfeed table for most of that sort of work. The fence on that Unisaw will go to a little over eight feet and that is a big help in cross cutting 4x8 ply to length for bookcase sides before turning the sheet around and ripping out the individual pieces. It's a stock Delta item but I don't see them advertising it much. The height of the outfeed table can be adjusted with the leg levelers over a range of about three inches. When I crank them all the way up, the table sits on casters so that it can roll around the shop as needed.
My version:
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/outfeed.jpg
Formica laminated to 1 1/2" of MDF and framed with ash to protect the edges. Hardwood miter slots for longevity. Height is fine tunable with machine bolts into T-nuts at the bottom of each leg.
The table is not attached to the saw in any way, as it weighs about 200 pounds without anything on the shelves.
Makes an excellent assembly area as well.
Barry

Nice size shop BTW....LUCKY YOU....
My outfeed table on my Cabinet saw is as wide as my fence..(52 inches.)... and it is about 40 to 48 inches in lenght...not really sure but it is long enough that an 8 foot long pylwood panel can be ripped in half and STAY ON THE TABLE... and since I do not normally rip boards of panels longer then 8 foot this works for me... Just remember that the distance from the back of the blade to the end of the outfeed table has to be greater then 48 inches or that plywood panel will fall off ... lol...
Down side of my table is that I find myself using it a lot as a work table (work bench) or assembly table not really a problem but what can I say...
Bob GRiffiths