Outdoor finish

With all the current threads on outdoor finishes, I was wondering about Fiber glass. I have seen it used to good effect on wooden canoe hulls. While it is a bit "cloudy" it still lets the wood grain through and seems to be very weather resistant. Would this be a viable option for those looking for a more durable finish then varnish or poly? Anyone have any experience or comments on this? (Haven't seen it brought up before and don't do much outdoor stuff myself.)

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Fiber glass. I have seen it used to >good effect on wooden canoe hulls.

be very weather resistant. Would this be a >viable option for those looking for a more durable finish >then varnish or poly? Anyone have any experience

outdoor stuff myself.)

I have a friend that casts fiberglass for a living. Cleat fiberglass would make an almost indestructible coating for wood protection if it had one thing - UV resistance. According to him, the fiberglass coating of wood is a balance of the added strength of the actual fiberglass ply and waterproofing vs. how long the fiberglass will last.

But he did say that a coat of >colored< (even white) should last for many years outside. Just think of all those lake boats in your mind's eye.

But with the cost of the resins, the cleanup, buying the glass fabric, the time needed to do it, and the level of expertise needed to do a complex shape like a chair... I'd just go buy a plastic chair.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41