Our First Lowes - What A Difference Over Home Depot!!!

Page 1 of 4
We just got our very first Lowes and after my visit I noticed that it/they are vastly different from Home Depot. At Lowes you turn left to get to the tool department. At Home Depot you turn right.
UA100, who wonders if it's subliminal...

Where is it at? Haven't seen anything about it until now.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Right around 60th and Capital. I plan on stopping by soon. The last time I was at HD I said in my loudest voice to one of the floor managers "I will never shop here again!" I suspect Lowe's will reach that point after two or three visits.
dave

Um. OK, so I should take Smith _and_ Wesson with me I assume? Or has that area improved in the last, say, 10 years?

You may be more tolerant than I. I only will go into my local-ish HD (out on Hwy 83 and I-94) if, and only if, the hardware store at the bottom of HD's hill doesn't have what I want. So I pay 5 bucks more per trip or something - but they know what I'm talking about when I ask for or about something.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, let me give you directions. Head east on Capitol and make a left at Starbucks, in front of the new Pick 'N Save, the other side of the new WalMart.
Sound like it may have improved to you?
UA100, who finds Milwaukeeans funny when it comes to "colored folk"...

Apparently so.

I live in the country, but grew up in Tosa. 60th and Capitol wasn't good 20 years ago, at least not on bike.
Dave:

Yahbut, you don't have to go quite as far to get the same(ish) service.
Good thing there's an Eliot's on your way home?
UA100, who was a wee bit put out at Nue's the last time because they didn't have a single 5/16" hex head cap screw/no really, it's true...
Dave Hinz wrote:

Capitol Court.
No really. A brilliant move on Lowes' part with the nearest Home Depot's being 60 blocks in either direction (Tosa/Port Road).
St. Soozan told me where the next one is going in but I've slept since then and, well, I forgot.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

This just in. St. Soozan informs me that the rumor is the next Lowes is going in at a 124th. and Burleigh, where the Briggs & Stratton plant *used* to be which puts them nearly in Home Depot's front parking lot.
UA100, who hasn't been by to see the carnage at B&S yet...

They moved all of the stuff to Mexico. Remember what Ross Perot said in the debates about "hearing a giant sucking sound"?
--

Roger Shoaf

Check the front page of this morning's Journal Sentinel business section.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I believe this rumor. In the paper today (or yesterday) was a picture of the demolition of the B&S plant, with a caption about a "Big Box" store in the works. Me, I try my best to stick to Elliot's. Just west of 164 (fomerly J) on Capital. Best Hardware Store in the Land. There's also one in Elm Grove, and at least one other...
dave
Wouldn't doubt it, after LOWE's had been in town about 10yrs, HD bought the lot absolutely right across the street and built the HD there. Great, I get to walk across the street and price shop, then go back across the street and tell them "The guys across the street have it cheaper, you gonna match it??
John
On 29 Jan 2005 18:02:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The other one is on 109th and Oklahoma. I was at the Brookfield one friday, and for the first time ever, they didn't have what I was looking for (.27 caliber powder load gun loads - they have the .22 cal).
On a related note, you can use one of those to nail 2x4's into a Spancrete ceiling. Something just odd about nailing into concrete using gunpowder.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Can use them on steel columns/beams, too... :)

OK, _there_, I'll drive to, it's nominally on my way home from work.
Hell, I live out near Madison. _Everything_ is on my way home from work from downtown Milwaukee.
Geez, why don't they just throw it up in HD's parking lot?
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog

Here's some fun. Go into one of these places and ask the sales person to give you a better price on an item. The look of confusion on their faces is intriguing.
TaskMule wrote:

Actually, I did that. I was needing a smallish piece of MCP (The Claire (age 9) Bed Project) and everything they had was buggered up in one place or another. I asked the guy what he'd discount it if I took a particular one (one buggered where it didn't matter to me) and I got a third ($5) off.
UA100, who realizes they don't do this willingly for unbuggered product but damn I didn't want to pay full freight on something buggered...
SNIP

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
Sompin' on yer mind there Uni a'hunnert?
____