Ouch! (was: Is this really safe? (Router video)

Happened upon this Charles Neil video last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4suyL84-w

Viweing it full screen at about 1:45 it's apparent his left index finger was severely injured (severed?) in the past.
Looks like the surgeon maybe attached one of his toes as a replacement.
Anybody know the circumstances on how it happened? Table saw?
On 4/3/2012 8:40 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Looks more like he cut a tenon in his finger and or further up his hand, the one that works that finger. My BIL has 3 fingers that look the same, yeah he had a severe cut across the top of his hand IIRC not wood working related.

He sort of mentions it here in 2008 but gives no details:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?81807-Charles-Neil-on-his-SawStop
On 4/3/2012 10:11 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

especially on PBS, but on "Ask This Old House" I saw that contractor guy Tom actually ripping 3-1/4-inch flooring with a buzz saw while holding it in his hand!
scritch

How many times, on HGTV or other stations that should know better, do you see contractors or others cutting wood on a table saw without a fence or miter gauge? Just shoving it through the blade.
It is stupid, dangerous and producers should know better.
RonB
On 4/9/12 9:37 PM, RonB wrote:

Producers? They are the last people who know anything about woodworking. :-) Honestly, a producer's job is to hire the people who are supposed to know about everything else.
--

-MIKE-

On 4/9/2012 9:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Producers hire stunt people. ;~)
On 4/3/2012 9:40 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

in your real life work?
If not are there any suggestions for creating the scalloping?
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:08:04 -0400, Keith Nuttle

Sure, why not?

Jig it up. Drill a line of holes in a piece of scrap, rip to the halfway mark, round off the sharp points between them, and clamp that on the board you want to scallop. Mount your circle cutter on your router and use that to keep it from moving much. Clamp a rounded stick to the top of the router to interface with the scalloped jig board. Now run the thing down the line. (notso)Instant scalloped edge.
Play with the depth, width, and different bit sizes and profiles to get the edge you want.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
On 4/3/2012 2:38 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I will have to try that. I make many frames for my wife's paintings and am becoming bored with the standard router cuts.