Ouch! (was: Is this really safe? (Router video)

Happened upon this Charles Neil video last night

it full screen at about 1:45 it's apparent his left index finger was severely injured (severed?) in the past.

Looks like the surgeon maybe attached one of his toes as a replacement.

Anybody know the circumstances on how it happened? Table saw?

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Looks more like he cut a tenon in his finger and or further up his hand, the one that works that finger. My BIL has 3 fingers that look the same, yeah he had a severe cut across the top of his hand IIRC not wood working related.

Reply to
Leon

That was cool. Could you use a dovetail jig to create the scallop effect in your real life work?

If not are there any suggestions for creating the scalloping?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

He sort of mentions it here in 2008 but gives no details:

Spalted Walt

Sure, why not?

Jig it up. Drill a line of holes in a piece of scrap, rip to the halfway mark, round off the sharp points between them, and clamp that on the board you want to scallop. Mount your circle cutter on your router and use that to keep it from moving much. Clamp a rounded stick to the top of the router to interface with the scalloped jig board. Now run the thing down the line. (notso)Instant scalloped edge.

Play with the depth, width, and different bit sizes and profiles to get the edge you want.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I will have to try that. I make many frames for my wife's paintings and am becoming bored with the standard router cuts.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

People do stupid stuff. Usually on TV they preach safety and such, especially on PBS, but on "Ask This Old House" I saw that contractor guy Tom actually ripping 3-1/4-inch flooring with a buzz saw while holding it in his hand!

scritch

Reply to
scritch

e:

How many times, on HGTV or other stations that should know better, do you see contractors or others cutting wood on a table saw without a fence or miter gauge? Just shoving it through the blade.

It is stupid, dangerous and producers should know better.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Producers? They are the last people who know anything about woodworking. :-) Honestly, a producer's job is to hire the people who are supposed to know about everything else.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Producers hire stunt people. ;~)

Reply to