Ouch!

Another reminder that business owners, and woodworkers, can't be careful enough ...
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID 09910200336
Lawyers are gonna have a field day ... and insurance companies will soon be insisting on the SawStop technology as a requirement for insuring any woodworking business with employees.
And rightfully so, since only a fool would take the chance in this day age.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

"Employees at the shop told police that they had told Guitierrez earlier in the morning not to use the saw because he was not trained to use it... the victim's duties at the shop were to sweep it."

Yeah that ain't going to happen. The trend is to hire cheap and keep'em for as long as they will stay and work minimum wage and benefits.

Fact is, it does not matter. The company will be paying in the end, as always.

Well, that's it. Nothing else needs to be said, as the entire issue has been boiled down to its essence. Nice shot there, Ed.
The bad employees ruin it for everyone; their fellow workers, their managers, and the owners. In the end, the only one that doesn't get to shrug their shoulders and walk off after an employee generated tragedy to go have a nice afternoon is the owner.
Robert

Do you suppose that, just possibly, that someone was covering the company's ass and blowing smoke up the cops?
In most all cases of blame, there's enough to go around.

Replace the on/off switch with a keypad and a relay. Don't give the code to idiots.
Robatoy wrote:

I see the same kind of suggestion on technical newsgroups where some administrator wants a device to prevent employees from loading random programs on corporate computers.
What's wrong with an enforced company policy that equates prohibited activity with immediate termination?
One company asserted they were as secure as Fort Knox and they hired a security expert to test their system for vulnerabilities. Did he load all kinds of complex snooping programs on their servers to check every bit and tittle for backdoors, buffer over-runs, guessable passwords, and the like?
Nope.
He scattered pen drives with trojans in the parking lot.
Seventy percent of the pen drives were plugged in to various employee desktops where the program on the pen drives immediately called home and snitched out the workers.
HeyBub wrote:

Human nature has always been the hackers first, and best weapon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Reminds me of something I came across a while ago:
"Technology is in a race with the universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof devices.The universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."

I bet we never here from Jose here 'cause it would probably be kind of hard to type. :-(
I am now protected by my Nomex undies...
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

In case anyone's interested, there's a keyboard layout designed for one hand. It's specific to which hand you plan on using, but it might be a solution for someone who can only type with one hand.
You can search for "one-handed DVORAK" and probably come up with all kinds of interesting things. It's been available in Windows for over a decade (but you have to look for it to turn it on.)
Puckdropper