Ouch

Page 1 of 2
The piece ricocheted around for a bit... thank you leather apron. The sudden imbalance vibrated the router darn near out of my hands... like Donal Duck hitting a tree with a stick and getting some 'feedback'. NO idea why the carbide let go..I didn't hit anything.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Missing.jpg
Looks like some ones watching over you. Glad to hear the leather stopped it

Robatoy wrote: > The piece ricocheted around for a bit... thank you leather apron. > The sudden imbalance vibrated the router darn near out of my hands... > like Donal Duck hitting a tree with a stick and getting some > 'feedback'. > NO idea why the carbide let go..I didn't hit anything. > >
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Missing.jpg >
Looking at the picture, looks like a fairly large bit.
Was there any specific reason you were using a hand held router rather than a table?
BTW, better lucky than good any day<G>.
Lew

What brand of bit is that? Tom

That had to be a heart stopper. I've never had it happen, but I have heard stories...
So be honest; does pee come out of leather without sending it out to be cleaned?
;^))
Robert

I'm guessing that when you see some guy walking around with all the blood drained from his face, you'll know who you're looking at. :)

hehehe..had I had time to whizz my shorts, I may have. But you know, in the world of snap/zing/ching/clang/ching/brzrzrzrzrzrzrzrzrzr one has little time the relieve oneself. This bit had been sharpened once by the factory (Royce-Ayr) as had the other one like it. This was the first time I used it after it came back. It may have been dinged in transit..and I am very careful with these bits as they are stupid-money.
Oh well, the next quote for full 1-1/2" bullnose solid surface just went up.
And, to answer another's question, I do use them hand-held with a 1/2" thick, 10" x 10" router base. You canNOT rock the router whilst doing an edge like that so the big base sorta-kinda works like an upside- down routertable. To push an 150 pound 10-foot countertop through a stationary table..well...it will not work, especially an L-shaped countertop. That inside corner is a killer. After 20+ years, it still makes me a little nervous.
Maybe I should get one of these 5 HP induction motor routers...
http://granquartzcanada.com/products.aspx?category=3

http://granquartzcanada.com/products.aspx?category=3#Diarex%20Magnum

Diarex. Sounds like an anti diarrhea device. Is that because it makes your asshole pucker when you use it? :)

Here we go for the low hanging fruit again, eh?
Robatoy wrote:
> And, to answer another's question, I do use them hand-held with a 1/2" > thick, 10" x 10" router base. You canNOT rock the router whilst doing > an edge like that so the big base sorta-kinda works like an upside- > down routertable. To push an 150 pound 10-foot countertop through a > stationary table..well...it will not work, especially an L-shaped > countertop. That inside corner is a killer. After 20+ years, it still > makes me a little nervous.
Suspected it was something like that.
As long as you are fabricating a special base, why not add a shield to protect you from the bit?
Along the lines of the shield used on a right angle grinder.
Maybe half of a pipe coupling or similar.
Routers scare the hell out of me.
They probably won't kill you, but they can certainly do a lot of damage.
Lew
On Sat, 05 May 2007 17:36:22 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Do they make bullet proof cups?
Mark
Markem wrote:
> Do they make bullet proof cups?
Knitted glass, epoxy and Airex foam will create a structure that stops a copper jacketed .357 Mag at 20 ft.
I have the test sample from my boat to prove it.<G>
Lew

Wow..how thick is that sandwich?
Robatoy wrote:

The secret is the Airex foam, since it captures the slug.
Total sandwich is about 1-1/2" consisting of 1/4" knitted glass skins and 1" Airex core.
Lew
On Sun, 06 May 2007 00:02:39 GMT, Lew Hodgett

A cup made of that sandwich would make Sigfried and Roy jealous!
On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:51:46 GMT, Lew Hodgett

But strapping a boat to ones crotch is problematic.....
<BG>
Mark

Some one must be real protective of their fishing hole if you had to make a bullet proof boat. Jim

Yeah... it would be just like Lew to trailer his 55-foot ketch to a lake to go fishing...<G> Personally, I think he's more worried about pirates in the Madagascar Straight.
Jim Northey wrote:

Could care less about fishing; however, uncharted reefs, atolls, another boat, a partially submerged container, etc, are a different matter.
Lew