Ouch

The piece ricocheted around for a bit... thank you leather apron. The sudden imbalance vibrated the router darn near out of my hands... like Donal Duck hitting a tree with a stick and getting some 'feedback'. NO idea why the carbide let go..I didn't hit anything.

Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: > The piece ricocheted around for a bit... thank you leather apron. > The sudden imbalance vibrated the router darn near out of my hands... > like Donal Duck hitting a tree with a stick and getting some > 'feedback'. > NO idea why the carbide let go..I didn't hit anything. >

Looking at the picture, looks like a fairly large bit.

Was there any specific reason you were using a hand held router rather than a table?

BTW, better lucky than good any day.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That had to be a heart stopper. I've never had it happen, but I have heard stories...

So be honest; does pee come out of leather without sending it out to be cleaned?

;^))

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'm guessing that when you see some guy walking around with all the blood drained from his face, you'll know who you're looking at. :)

Reply to
Upscale

| The piece ricocheted around for a bit... thank you leather apron. | The sudden imbalance vibrated the router darn near out of my | hands... like Donal Duck hitting a tree with a stick and getting | some 'feedback'. | NO idea why the carbide let go..I didn't hit anything.

I'm glad /you/ weren't damaged.

Y'know, I've always felt silly wheeling my little rolling wall to shield me from bit fragments when I thought a CNC routing operation might be even a _little_ risky - and suddenly I don't feel so silly anymore...

A dab of Bondo and you'll be back in business... ;-)

Morris Dovey

hehehe..had I had time to whizz my shorts, I may have. But you know, in the world of snap/zing/ching/clang/ching/brzrzrzrzrzrzrzrzrzr one has little time the relieve oneself. This bit had been sharpened once by the factory (Royce-Ayr) as had the other one like it. This was the first time I used it after it came back. It may have been dinged in transit..and I am very careful with these bits as they are stupid-money.

Oh well, the next quote for full 1-1/2" bullnose solid surface just went up.

And, to answer another's question, I do use them hand-held with a 1/2" thick, 10" x 10" router base. You canNOT rock the router whilst doing an edge like that so the big base sorta-kinda works like an upside- down routertable. To push an 150 pound 10-foot countertop through a stationary table..well...it will not work, especially an L-shaped countertop. That inside corner is a killer. After 20+ years, it still makes me a little nervous.

Maybe I should get one of these 5 HP induction motor routers...

Robatoy

...a little aluminum paint..who'll know, eh?

I agree with the scatter-shield idea. That little scab of carbide was a bit scary..imagine the whole thing snapping off at the shaft... a pound of crazed, carbide metal looking for a target at 8,000 RPM. Maybe I should upgrade to a kevlar apron.. although sopranos do all get all the good parts in an opera. But yet, I can't imagine any Viking helmets with any styling to them.

Ducking behind a wall was always comforting during hand grenade practice, although a nuclear hand grenade may be of some concern. (After several hundred failed trials, research has since proven that the average soldier doesn't quite have enough 'arm' to lob one of them far enough.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Robatoy

Just to sort of set you mind at ease: I've had a 1/4" roundover bit snap at the shaft while routing. The bit does *not* go flying all over creation. It just sort of stops where it is at and falls down. Now, maybe if you have something with a lot of mass you may get some of the momentum to translate into motion, but it appears that since the bit is embedded in the wood, once you take away the energy spinning it, all motion comes to a stop pretty quickly.

Yikes! I like my sopranos with cleavage, thank-you.

Mark & Juanita

asshole pucker when you use it? :)

Reply to
CW

Suspected it was something like that.

As long as you are fabricating a special base, why not add a shield to protect you from the bit?

Along the lines of the shield used on a right angle grinder.

Maybe half of a pipe coupling or similar.

Routers scare the hell out of me.

They probably won't kill you, but they can certainly do a lot of damage.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| Just to sort of set you mind at ease: I've had a 1/4" roundover | bit snap at the shaft while routing. The bit does *not* go flying | all over creation. It just sort of stops where it is at and falls | down. Now, maybe if you have something with a lot of mass you may | get some of the momentum to translate into motion, but it appears | that since the bit is embedded in the wood, once you take away the | energy spinning it, all motion comes to a stop pretty quickly.

That's somewhat reassuring - and matches my own experience. I've managed to break six bits so far - three of 'em in one day! They were all straight bits, and four were carbide up-spirals. In every instance the breakage was due to operator error and/or inexperience - and in each instance the broken-off portion was left sitting at the end of the cut.

I also had a 1/2" up-spiral climb down out of the collet. That was a bit more spectacular, with a shower of sparks and a sudden wrenching that made the half-ton 'Bot jerk. It gouged the MDF table top, but only traveled about two inches. I retired both bit and collet (both were scarred) and became really fussy about making sure that bits and collets both are clean and oil-free before use.

Still, I can't help but like Rob's Kevlar shop apron idea. :-)

Morris Dovey

Here we go for the low hanging fruit again, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Two problems with the kevlar idea.

1) Kevlar does not stop sharp edges. Which is why they don't stop knives (or arrows). And you can be sure that the carbide on a router bit has a sharp edge on it.

2) Kevlar still allows blunt trauma. If a big chunk of metal/carbide were to hit you at a high rate of speed, it would be nice if the protection wasn't flexible. You still end up absorbing the hit, even with kevlar.

If you were going to create a sheild, I would suggest something solid, either on the tool itself or hanging off the front of you.

I keep getting the image of that classic Clint Eastwood western. He had a stove door hanging off the front of him underneath a mexican blanket.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I was going to keep away from this as it usually invokes the academically inclined to argue "the tangenital point of release from a rotating object" arguement rather than the

WTF-just-happened-I-think-something-whizzed-by-my-frikkin'-leg guys that use machines a lot.

I have been using a roundover bit that shed a piece of carbide. It did not slowly come to a stop. It came immediately to a stop in my leg. Not having the sectional density to maintain and transfer energy, it went through the denim and just barely went in my leg. It was easily removed with the point of my pocket knife, and was only about 3/16" in my leg. No big deal. But a real reminder about wearing those safety glasses.

I have a buddy that made (subbed out) small cabinets in his garage that had a large chunk come off a CMT bit that was mounted in his router table. He knew how to use it, and had been using the CMT for a while.

So the chunk of carbide came off his panel profiling "helicopter" bit and went though the back of his fence and dust collection hose, and all the way through the sheetrock in the garage wall. The insulation made a nice save and held the chunk securely after wall penetration.

His router/table reacted so violently that he thought something had gone wrong with the machine, and didn't get to the bit until he calmed down.

If it had let go at the end of a cut where the bit cutter had been at

6:30 or 7 o'clock instead of 1 o'clock, his life might be very different right now.

The good new is that after inspecting the bit and large chip, CMT sent him a new bit.

As a sidebar, I rarely make any raised panels, but after the helicopter bit crash the insanity of spinning one of those large bits seemed to me beyond my comfort level. I bought a vertical bit and it runs smoother and seems a whole lot safer.

stove door hanging off the front of him >underneath a mexican blanket.

Almost as good for all of us, all you need is Clint's poncho:

takes a minute to load, but it is worth a look. Especially if you are a garage worker that might be sharing the "shop" with other family members. Or like Morris, use a CNC.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Lee Michaels wrote: | "Morris Dovey" wrote || || Still, I can't help but like Rob's Kevlar shop apron idea. :-) || | Two problems with the kevlar idea. | | 1) Kevlar does not stop sharp edges. Which is why they don't stop | knives (or arrows). And you can be sure that the carbide on a | router bit has a sharp edge on it. | | 2) Kevlar still allows blunt trauma. If a big chunk of | metal/carbide were to hit you at a high rate of speed, it would be | nice if the protection wasn't flexible. You still end up absorbing | the hit, even with kevlar.

Understood - a friend once loaded up a black powder rifle and had me put a hand-cast lead ball through a cast iron stove lid. There wasn't any sharp involved, but the softer blunt ball punched its way through the iron impressively.

| If you were going to create a sheild, I would suggest something | solid, either on the tool itself or hanging off the front of you.

That's how it's set up in my shop. The 'Bot has 1/4" steel sides, and I built a rolling wall (2x4 frame to support the plywood "wall", all on casters) to move between myself and the bit. It's not exactly armor-plate, but I don't (and won't) use massy bits on that machine.

| I keep getting the image of that classic Clint Eastwood western. | He had a stove door hanging off the front of him underneath a | mexican blanket.

Ok for the movies - but my experience with the long rifle and stove lid leads me to hope that the bad guys had cap guns. :-)

Morris Dovey

In the SFWIW category:

Once spent some time as a vibration research engineer for heavy duty DC machinery for trucks and buses.

Had a problem with alternators throwing cooling fan blades under certain conditions.

Built a box from 2x4's turned on edge and complete with s viewing window from "bullet proof" safety glass.

Equipped box with casters and would push it in place surrounding alternator mounted on test stand, then start increasing alternator RPM until fan failed.

Several fan blades ended up being driven into the 2x4's during the tests.

Solved the problem and nobody got hurt in the process, but that box generated it's share of comments.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

SNIP