OT--You Know You Don't Live In California When...

Page 4 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in

Well, Paddy, you got that right. When the great grandparents came to California in the fifties (that would be the 1850's), many of the locals still spoke Spanish. Heck, in Mendocino County, there were still folks around speaking Russian. (Ever been to Fort Ross, above Jenner?)
My ancestors came from Nova Scotia, from Western Pennsylvania, from Denmark and from Germany. To the small towns and pretty places to try to make a living, doing whatever they could. It was no easier to make a living in the dairy business, or the lumber trade, or as a blacksmith here, then, than anywhere else. But at least, to misquote Garrison Kiellor, here Mother Nature doesn't make a serious attempt to kill you three or four times a year.
Trying to find the balance between large enough for economic commerce, and small enough for elbow room is an ongoing challenge. We've moved away twice. We're back. Our kids are starting families. We don't want to be too far from the grandkids. We've seen that before. As much as grandparents spoil grandchildren, the converse is also true. Nothing charges my batteries quite as well as a hug from the 'grandson in perpetual motion'.
Home really is where the heart is.
So everyone come and visit! Spend a nickle or two. Take plenty of pictures! Gawk at the locals. As you can see, there's all kinds here!
Patriarch
On 6 Apr 2004 09:56:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:
<snipatrocity>

Jimmy Carville (sp?) says that Pennsyltucky is, "Pittsburgh in the West, Philadelphia in the East, and Alabama in between. I've never been in the great state of Alabama, but I believe I know what Mr. Carville was trying to say.
The people from the middle of my state don't think that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are really part of Pennsylvania.
A lot of folks associate New York State with New York City and that's just plain wrong.
I've hunted and fished in places in New York State that look like the forest primeval. Same holds true for Pennsyltucky.
It's fun to break balls about States and such, but the real truth is about the difference between the urban/suburban environment and what goes on out in the sticks - which are often only a few miles away from the megalopolis stuff.
My guess is that I have more in common with a guy from a rural section of whatever State he's from than I do with the urban denizens of my own area.

Right on the money as always Tom. I live in NY, but just about as far as you can get from the "Rotten Apple" and still be in the same state. Jamestown is approx. 40-45K population(maybe less by now). I can drive <5mi. in any direction to find dairy country. Within 10mi. @ least 5 or 6 Maple Syrup producers. Within 20mi good hunting, our own Chautauqua Lake where the ice fishing just ended a week or so ago, the "bullhead" are warming up, and before we know it, Crappie & Walleye will be in full swing. Used to be very well known for Muskie, and they claim about half the Muskie lakes all over the Northeast were "seeded" from Chautauqua lake stock. Muskie are fading out though, as the Walleye are taking over.
Think about it - look @ a NY state map. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, & that big cancr down there @ the mouth of the Hudson River! The rest is mostly little & middlin' size stuff with a whole lot of nothin' in between.
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
Norm Crow writes:

I've always tried to explain to Virginians that NY had most of its people in the areas you name, leaving huge empty tracts for the rest of the 17 million. What is it, roughly 14 million in the areas of huge population, 6 million acres for the Adirondack Preserve, and on and on. IIRC, the Adirondack Preserve is the largest of its kind in the world.
The only problems noted with mid-state and true upstate NY are the still fairly high sales tax, and the fairly high state tax are still in place. Everything else is like real life.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:37:55 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
<snipped only to appease the bandwidth gods.>

I hear ya, Nahmie - and Charlie Self, too - in the following post.
I'm going to use this opportunity to get on my high horse about something that has always pissed me off.
Most of the people who do the making and baking - the hunting and fishing - the child raising and life making - the saving and the scraping to get by - don't live in urban areas.
Yet, the media, which allegedly holds the "mirror up to nature", is mostly located in highly urbanized centers.
I kinda don't figger that I'm the reflection in that mirror.
People in urban areas don't hold the same values as those who live outside those areas. They never have - and they never will.
I'm guessing this goes back at least to the Roman times - when a Pagan (pagano) was a country fella - in contradistinction to those who were saved - by being city fellas.
What a crock.
I don't like the fact that my twelve year old daughter thinks that she has to be like B. Spears - just because she's on TV. I don't like those people that my wife watches on "Survivor", nor any of the little pricks who are on the shows that pass as Family Hour Entertainment.
I'm not ready to go totally Amish, but I'd damned sure like to shut off the city media and its influence on people who should know better - and who already live better.
I guess I've gotten too curmudgeonly over the years - Andy Rooney seems like a moderate to me - but this whole culture - as it is presented to us on the mass media - is a total POS in my estimation.
We are no longer a culture involved in the making of things.
We are only interested in managing the making of things.
At least, that's what I see on my television, my used-to-be-local-but-now-a-part-of- blah blah publications newspaper - and the gay and lesbian stations on the radio (formerly PBS).
Tired of it.
There are still vast areas of this country where a man's word is his bond - won't see that much on TV. There are still huge sectors of our country where a neighbor will be helped out of common human decency - but I don't see that reflected in that media mirror.
This rant is wandering a good bit - and so I'll shut it off. I still meet good people - and I meet them in all kinds of places - but the culture (writ large) that I live in - doesn't give them the respect or encouragement that they deserve.
This saddens me greatly.
Tom Watson writes:

And you'll find in future fewer and fewer of those good people because of it.
A quick question: there's a show, such as it is, called American Idol. I've watched parts of it twice. There's a little Brit accented prick on there who is the nastiest piece of work I've ever seen on the idjit box--real life style, sorta. Don't know his name, but he's easy enough to spot once the mouths move.
Dop they pay that little piece of shit, or do they just refrain from torturing and killing him.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
On 07 Apr 2004 01:18:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

That's another one that my wife and daughter watch. I've seen some of it and the little bastard's name is Simon.
He wouldn't have lasted two minutes around where I grew up.
Tom Watson wrote:

Then he's done his job! That's what they pay him to do. That's what folks tune in for. Off camera, he's pretty quiet. Me? I'm looking forward to baseball season to provide background noise while making sawdust. Other than that, I don't have much use for TV nor do I have much time for it either. It is evil and has already taken up too much time in my life! Oh, I could sit in front of it. But it's more fun gathering up my little ones and taking them out to experience some of what this country has to offer.
I think I started noticing TV was evil when I saw that cars now have little screens to watch stuff on. Ask any of the kids in the car how they got to their destination! Bet they won't know! That'll come in handy when they get seperated from their folks! Create a whloe generation that can't find their way!
Mark and Kim Smith remarks:

Maybe that's why he's lived this long. His job is to drive people with a brain off the couch? You'er right, maybe he should be paid for that.

I fyou can sit in front of it mroe than a half hour, you're a better man than me, Gunga Din.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

if you watch the credits, i think you'll find that he's the owner of the company that is producing the show, along with being the owner of the idea of the show, and is also the owner of the record company that gives the winner the final recording contract.
i believe he personally made something like 90 million from the previous season.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Charlie Spitzer notes:

Now there's a sad statement on the world.
Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

<much of felt frustration snipped>
You speak for many, and you speak well!
I am not a religious man, but I thank God daily that my 18 year old daughter, raised in one of the biggest cities in the county, sees through that crap like she was born with x-ray vision.
I've tried hard since she's been sentient to teach her to know the difference, and I can't help but think that the fact that she "got it" early on can be laid directly at the feet of my own "rural roots".
Not to say that you have to be from the country to raise a good citizen, but I pity the kids who never have had the opportunity to see life through a lens unclouded by the noise of "urban pop culture".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/02/04

brought forth from the murky depths:

Does the Condo Owners' Association know about your fertilizer plant there, Tawm?

That's right, we don't. (Well, "we" except for the hunting, fishing, child raising, and life making" part.)

I fixed that here. When I had to move to Satellite TV, I chose to opt out of the local channels and network channels. You wouldn't believe ho much peace there is in NOT having those. I still turn on the local weather report on occasion, and when I watch a full half hour of the news, complete with 'lebenty seven commercials for penis wash/vaginal stoppers/NewImprovedSolidSugarFlakes cereal and all the other goodies, I realize just how good I have it. I can turn it off and not go back for a month. Whew! Besides, the Weather Channel has nice jazz music background and really cute chicks. What more could a guy ask for? (No, no, no, _besides_ a real weather report.)

Wow, a steam-powered, overhead line, leather-belt driven Normite shop like this?
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/edhtml/shop.jpg
Got GIFs or JPGs yet?

Y'mean Andy's -not- a moderate?

Most of us on the Wreck are of the former culture. Ditto the rec.metalheads and most of the .sci readers.

Me, too. If the idiotic media would just stop feigning iration (izzat a word?) over any given 2 people in love, the "problem" would simply go away. Psychology, history, and human behavior tell us that banning things doesn't work and usually has an increased opposite effect.

No, "nice" doesn't sell advertising. That's what drives the media nowadays. "News" is secondary to exploitation and selling SUVs and fake pizza. Have you seen what a small 3x5" display ad in the local newspaper costs nowadays? In Vista, it was over a GRAND A WEEK, and that was if I provided camera-ready art. I don't even want to think what a NYT or LATte ad costs. How many mil to put half a minute on the Stupor Bowel?

Hear, hear! And when you look around and see the corruption in politics (both sides of the aisle), Faith-Based preemptive wars being started over oil, Americans being herded, rights being taken away in the name of totally false "security", it's obviously time to
    REBOOT AMERICA!
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------

$2.3 million for a 30 second spot

Too much crack smoking in California.
http://www.coopsjokes.com/toons6/gifs/coot_jim.jpg
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
JOAT posts:

LMAO.
But I'd guess that would more likely be around Raleigh.
Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain
Tom Watson wrote:

You know better than that. If you don't, then it's time to start following the links you find in rec.woodworking.

I think you know better than that, too.

Have you forgotten to apply Sturgeon's Law? Ninety percent of the stuff on TV /is/ crap. If you're not selective, then ninety percent of the time spent watching TV is wasted. If you /are/ selective, you can shrink the waste considerably.
[BTW, this bit of insight might be one of the most useful you could share with your 12-year old.]

Yabbut it's not geographical. There are good people everywhere and bad apples everywhere, with the huge majority of people trying to be the best they know how to be. If you're trying to see the world though the filter of television, you might miss this important observation. The media realize sales by peddling the /unusual/.

Of course not. It never has. How do we fix that?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
"Morris Dovey" writes:

For many years now, my definition of television programming has been:
"Designed by and executed for congenital idiots"
Even the news programs appear to be designed to be more entertaining than informative.
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett responds:

Well, that's one thing I have to give Parkersburg. No one designed their local news show.
Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain